Icom 706 MK11G

Status
Not open for further replies.

freebird63

I took my radio out of my truck a couple weeks ago, everything was working fine. Put it back in and was checking it out on 10 meters and seems to transmit fine. Then when I went to VHF/UHF it does not seem to transmit. No carrier on AM, then tried FM and it seems there's nothing.
I am going to check some more tomorrow before work, any suggestions on what may have happened?

Thanks

pyro424

Well obviously there a lot of different things that could be wrong with it. However just to eliminate the most simple possible problems have you checked to see what antenna coax is plugged into the back? There are two antenna SO-239 jacks on the back. It could be easy to get them backwards. Like have the VHF/UHF coax on the HF jack or visa versa. You have probably already checked that but just thought I would say that as a possibility. I have put the wrong coax on the wrong radio in the past by accident.

freebird63

Took it to a shop today and the VHF/UHF side does not transmit. So now I need to decide how much I would use VHF/UHF vs cost. HF side works just fine. The guy at the shop said probably close to $300 for the part alone. OUch

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
Not sure what shop you took it to, but it might be useful just to check a couple more things. For example, you could do a master reset of the processor (refer to the manual) to see if that changes things.

Also, the connections between the control head and the body of the xcvr have been known to cause similar problems. You might try removing the head, cleaning/checking the connector, the reattach.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
Let me be perfectly clear here: I'm not accusing you of dropping your radio.

I've seen this before where someone took a perfectly working radio, dropped it, and now VHF doesn't work. When I opened the 706MkIIG up, the soldered jumper from the main PA board to the SO-239 connector was jarred loose. 5 philips screws is all it takes to open up the bottom of the radio and look for yourself. Might be worth the effort.

Once I re-soldered the jumper, the radio passed all the tests.

freebird63

What I find odd, I took the radio out of my truck a couple weeks ago, everything was working fine. Was not happy where it was mounted. So I slowly started putting things back in, a local ham friend was wanting to try 2m SSB. So I turned it on, keyed as per usual and nothing. Made sure the coax was in the correct place. Tried the mic in the front and back...nothing. The only thing I have not done is try the separation cable with the head unit off the radio. Will try that tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.