Icom: ICOM 7100 fan speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony3d

Is this normal for the 7100? The fan is completely off till I key down, then runs a bit fast, and immediately ramps down to a slower speed. Does the same thing whether at 5 or 100% transmit power, voltage is rock steady! Seems like it takes it a split second to determine the fan speed, then corrects it. My power supply is a Samlex 1235m. Thanks.

wrath

I have the 7000 but I am sure the mod exists for the 7100 as well, with can have the fan run to cool as heeded, or run continously, if your a rag chewers I recommend the always on setting , you can also pretty economical switch out the fan for one that is more robust ( higher air thru put and less noise)for like $20 bucks , doing the fan mod keeps the rig much cooler and therefore gives you a better duty cycle.

That's a switching supply do you find it giving you RFI on HF , I had one and had to run it only on VHF/UHF, because it was to noisy on HF went to a good old fashioned boat anchor linear supply for HF and all is well.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tony3d

Thanks for the info. I have not noticed any noise generated from the supple. Being a Tech, I have only been on that very small sliver of the 10 meter band though. Haven't done much listening elsewhere. Mainly been using repeaters, and trying to figure out Dstar LOL.

Last edited:

wrath

Good luck with dstar , we don't have any around here (dstar repeaters ) but I jumped in with both feet , I have a shark rf openspot coming on the next shipment, and I have an Icom 92AD and Kenwood 74a, the Kenwood is pretty much a IC ID 51A smashed together with the 72a , so it does dstar as well as APRS,nice trip band rig with digital .you'll want to keep up with 6 meters, they don't call it the magic band for nothing, when it does open you can do some crazy stuff with it , but both 6 & 10 are on the decline cycle due to solar activity, so you'll have some fun intermittently until the sun comes back and then it can get wild , look in your area for beacons and repeaters on 10 in both AM and FM.
Also come April there will be alot of activity on AM from a big contest the first wèek.

Tony3d

Good luck with dstar , we don't have any around here (dstar repeaters ) but I jumped in with both feet , I have a shark rf openspot coming on the next shipment, and I have an Icom 92AD and Kenwood 74a, the Kenwood is pretty much a IC ID 51A smashed together with the 72a , so it does dstar as well as APRS,nice trip band rig with digital .you'll want to keep up with 6 meters, they don't call it the magic band for nothing, when it does open you can do some crazy stuff with it , but both 6 & 10 are on the decline cycle due to solar activity, so you'll have some fun intermittently until the sun comes back and then it can get wild , look in your area for beacons and repeaters on 10 in both AM and FM.
Also come April there will be alot of activity on AM from a big contest the first wèek.

Thanks for all the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.