Icom: Icom-7100 "RF tap Panadapter"

kd2goe

Looking for info on using the RF Tap Board on the Icom-7100
There is a RF line in the Icom-7100 that you can tap off to run to an SDR play. The problem is it all so has Low level RF on the Line when in transmit.
so i want to use RF Tap Board help to block this RF from getting in to the SDRplay.

This is the info I found but I would like to have some thing in there to protect my SDR play.

I want to use this The PAT V RF Tap Board it is the same board I used in my TS-2000 with my SDRplay

all so I need to find a control line on the IC-7100 that will go high when in receive and low when transmitting.

kd2goe

BUMP

any one that can help me on where I can tap for power on the 7100 when its high in TX and drops to low in RX?

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Not sure it is what you want but could examining either of the commercial products from Radio Spectral or Radio Analog help you?

kd2goe

Not sure it is what you want but could examining either of the commercial products from Radio Spectral or Radio Analog help you?

I need a +8 or +12v line when its in receive to power the Buffer board in the first post.
when I'm in transmit I need to cut the power to the board cant pass the Low level transmitting RF to the SDR

EDIT!~!!!

Any one that can help me on where I can tap for power on the 7100 when its high in RX and drops to low in TX?

OPPS! i had it backwards

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
From page 1-19 in the Full Manual (downloadable from Icom's website):
1636728334858.png
HSEND goes low when the transceiver is transmitting and high when the transceiver is receiving. The color code refers to the accessory cable supplied with the radio.

Also, if you use HSEND (or VSEND) to drive a relay, you must include a diode to short the back EMF from the relay when it de-energizes:
1636728293694.png

kd2goe

From page 1-19 in the Full Manual (downloadable from Icom's website):
View attachment 112170
HSEND goes low when the transceiver is transmitting and high when the transceiver is receiving. The color code refers to the accessory cable supplied with the radio.

Also, if you use HSEND (or VSEND) to drive a relay, you must include a diode to short the back EMF from the relay when it de-energizes:
View attachment 112169

thanks I was looking at the manual and I was a bit confused I installed a buffer board on my TS-2000 to run my SDRplay no problem.

ok so I need pin 7 it's High when in receiving and droops down to 0 in TX its 6.9v so that shod be good to power the Buffer board.

ill report back if this all works with pics.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
ok so I need pin 7 it's High when in receiving and droops down to 0 in TX its 6.9v so that shod be good to power the Buffer board.
As long as the buffer board draws less than 200 mA.

kd2goe

As long as the buffer board draws less than 200 mA.

the Buffer board pulls 11ma
and this will not work if I load down pun 7 it puts the Radio in to TX so I'm back to square 1

Last edited:

kd2goe

going to try to use a PNP and a NPN off the PTT line to pass the 12V to the Buffer

kd2goe

Ones you go SDR waterfall you never go back.

It worked so well in my Kenwood TS-2000 I had to do it to my Icom IC-7100 so I Installed an RF Tap buffer and it works well from HF TO UHF
This is tapping in to the RF chain not the IF and you use software like omni-rig to sync every thing up together.

I tapped in to the PTT line and Because the PTT line is only 6v and is pulled to ground to transmit I can't have a load on it or it will key the Radio I put a Transistor on the PTT line is in an emitter follower config with a 5.1K resistor on the base.
because the voltage coming out of the Transistor is to low I need to get that up so the 5v is then turning on an optocoupler that will pass the 12+ volts that I have current limited with a 500ohm resister to 9+V for the RF Buffer.

hNSHsa5.jpg

aOhULPv.jpg

CcPcutW.jpg

zCZZoyt.jpg

dX4SxUL.jpg

kd2goe

well thanks to the admins all the links to the 1 post i sent out to some people are broken now..
would have just been nicer to just Delete the OG thread since the info was going nowhere.

va3nca

@kd2goe Just a ping to this old thread... Have you had good experience with patching this tap into your 7100 at the points you chose? I just got the same tap from Dave kd2c and planning the install now.

Dave sent the attached pdfs describing his recommended connection points, wondering how they might compare to the points you've chosen?

W.

Attachments

• IC-7100RF&PowerTaps_1of6.pdf
    230.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IC-7100RF&PowerTaps_2of6.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • IC-7100RF&PowerTaps_3of6.pdf
    647 KB · Views: 10
  • IC-7100RF&PowerTaps_4of6.pdf
    315.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IC-7100RF&PowerTaps_5of6.pdf
    309.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IC-7100RF&PowerTaps_6of6.pdf
    241.2 KB · Views: 9

MaxDonoghue

Or you could tap the output of Q4001, which is the 1st IF amplifier. Strictly RX signals at this point, no need to worry about switching TX etc.

va3nca

If still looking for an RF tap; I've since located another tap point for R8V ( only powered during receive ) that is accessible and large enough for easy connection. Whenever my sma panel mount connectors show up... this is where I think I'm going to tap the power needed, also doing the receive switching and still allowing an RF tap, instead of IF.

Attachments

• R8VTap.pdf
    114.8 KB · Views: 23

ukdx

Wayde, did you complete the RF tap mod on your 7100 as I've just ordered one of the PAT boards for mine. I've already added an IF board to my 706 so I was looking for the 7100 8V RX only point and ended up here.
Paul