icom 75

Status
Not open for further replies.

yungchin

i have a icom r75 communication receiver that i brought from a buddy of mine wife because he died. its almost like new.but i don't know anything about the radio are programming it. she sold it to me for 60dollars.right now it just sitting here because i don't know nothing about it. need help with programming it.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
i have a icom r75 communication receiver that i brought from a buddy of mine wife because he died. its almost like new.but i don't know anything about the radio are programming it. she sold it to me for 60dollars.right now it just sitting here because i don't know nothing about it. need help with programming it.

IC-R75 Downloads - Icom America

yungchin

icom r75

oh i've came across the manual on the icom r75 but for some reason its hard for me to understand it

yungchin

icom r75

oh i ordered a dipole princeton antenna for it and hooked it up and i run it off a 12amp power supply and i hear radio stations around the world on it. the reason i have a dipole antenna on it is because i live in a apartment. only thing i hear on it is am mode! i want to hear the other modes and know about the different buttons on that radio.and i want to hear ham on it as well.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
RTFMA. Not to be rude, but you should keep trying. You obviously know how to power it, turn it on and begin listening.

Read the manual about switching the mode to the sidebands (USB and LSB depending on the frequency convention). Then figure out the frequencies amateurs operate on (it's as easy as Googling it) and tune those.

safetyobc

$60!!! WOW! Keep at it. It is a great hobby! I have always wanted an R75 but the price of admission is just too steep. Good luck!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You really don't need to google anything at the moment - we have this basic information in our wiki (note that anything in blue is a link)

Amateur Radio on HF - The RadioReference Wiki

Now on these bands, in those areas where voice is used, LSB (lower side band) is the convention on 80 and 40; on 20 meters and up, USB is the convention. There is no voice on the 10 mhz range. There is an exception - on the 5 mhz channels the convention is USB. Frequencies above 10 mhz will generally be used in the daytime; below that at night. There is a good reason for this, but we're getting WAY ahead of ourselves here.

Let's start by getting acquainted with the HF Gateway in our wiki...

HF - The RadioReference Wiki

There are 4 general categories of stuff to hear on HF; broadcast, utilities, CB and hams with many little niches scattered all over the place. While the stuff on DXing.com is a bit dated, it's a decent enough place to start.

It's also very important to understand how the sun's activity affects what you can hear, and when. You don't need a degree in solar physics - just some basics will do the job for now. This website is an excellent place to start - note that you need Flash Player to be active to view this site...

Propagation Primer - Flash Movie by AE4RV

That I think is enough of going off topic for one thread. Once you understand some more of the basics, learning how to use the R75 will be quite easy. We have many forums devoted to HF, CB, Ham and much more. Here are just a few of them...

Amateur Radio General Discussion - The RadioReference.com Forums

HF/MW/LW General Discussion - The RadioReference.com Forums

Shortwave Broadcast - The RadioReference.com Forums

Antennas and Associated Hardware - The RadioReference.com Forums

Don't limit yourself to seeing only those forums with new messages. Look around and read up. HF is a VERY WIDE place with a great many different things to hear, so don't be too surprised if there's so much that you get a bit overwhelmed. Start learning the basics first, then move onto what interests you.

best regards..Mike

yungchin

icom r75

safetyboc! i really don't know what i got far as that icom r75 but i just wish i knew more about that radio.and i wonder why that icom75 cost so much.but i only paid 60dollars for my icom75! a radio buddy of mine died a yr are so ago and his wife told me she didn't care nothing about radios and that i could give her what i wanted for some of his radio stuff.i didn't know the icomr75 cost that much until after i brought the radio and came home and got online and find out this radio cost alot man.this radio is like new.

Fast1eddie

Nice deal on the rig. I also have a Princeton up and have it configured as a inverted Vee. Excellent performance, worked nice until my son whacked one leg off with the mower last summer. Best advice I can offer is to read, read, read, read and think everything over. There is a wealth of information on the 'net, you started with a excellent site. Welcome to the hobby! Lots of nice folks out there who are more than willing to help out. I would think aside from the obvious space considerations electrical noise would be a issue. I have DX'ed from some unique locations, try a Army barracks sometime. Managed to get a wire up and aside from my CO getting worked up about it I had fun. Had to be extremely careful in other countries as my activities could be interpreted as Intell gathering. Think the neatest place I had was a penthouse (efficiency) apartment overlooking the beach while stationed in Greece. Several neighbors were USAF spooks and refused to believe it was only a hobby. Guess the OD green Icom R70 did not help much. Now the neighbors just gripe, I tell them to .....off. You know the words.

Good Signals,

Ed

W2NJS

No. It's called a communications receiver and is continuously tunable, rather than run in what are called channels, or fixed-point frequencies. It's primarily intended for voice and Morse code reception. Go back an read the references you were given, but don't expect to understand everything in a day or so's time because that's beyond anyone's capability. Learn a little bit at a time and eventually you'll have a good understanding of what the radio does and whether it's a good radio for you.

rico47635

Wowzers! $60??? Talk about dirt cheap! You got the deal of the century on that rig! You'll learn it. Just give it some time. The same antenna you are using for the AM stuff will work with the SSB stuff. Those radio manuals can be a little confusing at first, but the radios aren't really all that hard to figure out.

ridgescan

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Yes, like ridgescan pointed out, the R75 will indeed pickup low band (30 to 50 MHz) police comms as it has FM mode and tunes from 30 thru 60 MHz. I use mine a lot for low band DX'ing and it works very well. It is not quite as sensitive as some other receivers for that range but it is very acceptable.

lanbergld

The computer /internet/software age...guy gets a radio & his primary focus is how to "program" it. I personally think the Icom IC-R75 is best used as a radio. (a.) Make a simple wire antenna, (b.) Place simple wire antenna on window, (c.) Turn radio on, (d.) Move tuning dial and (e.) See what happens.

Review and revise (a.) and (b.) as needed.

Larry

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The computer /internet/software age...guy gets a radio & his primary focus is how to "program" it. I personally think the Icom IC-R75 is best used as a radio. (a.) Make a simple wire antenna, (b.) Place simple wire antenna on window, (c.) Turn radio on, (d.) Move tuning dial and (e.) See what happens.

Review and revise (a.) and (b.) as needed.

Larry

I agree fully!
For step d: I now continue past 29.99999 or 30.00000 though. At least on the R75.
I still use my Icom R7000 and R9000 in the manual "turn the knob" fashion as well.
There is just something about being able to spin a tuning dial that pleases me.

I will admit that I do own the software for all three of the mentioned Icom receivers and it will read and write the memory locations plus control the radios but it is a very rare day that I ever use it. I simply do not store much in the radios memories. On the R75, I do store the US and Canadian time station frequencies for quick propagation checks but that is about it and it did not take a computer to do that. The rest is all manual tuning which is the fun part for me by far!
I still remember the day I bought my first radio that could be operated via computer. I was all excited about it but I could not afford the interface so I built one. I even wrote my own control software for it.
After about two days of using the thing via computer, I disconnected it and ran the radio from the front panel controls only. I was simply bored to death running it from a computer!
On the other hand, SDR radios are also nice but that is a whole new subject for another time and forum.
A SDR will never replace my good old analog and digital manual tuned radios though.
Kinda like trying to get me to read a book on a computer screen when I also have the bound paper copy, it is not going to happen!

yungchin

icom r75

well only thing im able to get out of that icom r75 is the am mode! all the rest of the things that radio is capable of doing i have no earthly idea. i didn't have the manual when i brought it from my passed away buddy wife.

yungchin

icom r75

oh i ordered a princeton sky wire dipole antenna on that icom r75 that i ordered from universal radio. i can hear radio stations around the world on it,but everything else that radio can do,i just don't know. its gotta be more to it then the am mode much as that radio cost.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
well only thing im able to get out of that icom r75 is the am mode! all the rest of the things that radio is capable of doing i have no earthly idea. i didn't have the manual when i brought it from my passed away buddy wife.

At least 2 people (including myself) in this thread have provided you with the link to download the manual for your radio, and others have provided much information and many links (Post #7 above from ka3jjz) to a huge amount of information about your radio and what you can listen to and how to do it. The answers to your questions are in those materials, but you do have to READ and UNDERSTAND it!!! Even if only a little bit at a time.

You need to sit in front of your radio, and read the materials that have been provided for you and experiment and learn. That is the best way to understand your radio. If you are afraid that you will mess up any settings or something like that, you can always reset the radio to factory settings and start again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.