Icom 80ad CTCSS Programming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdquaife

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to program the 80ad with different encode and decode CTCSS tones? There are a couple repeaters in my area that broadcast a different tone in order to allow the receiver to avoid interference. So far, I have only been able to locate programming in the radio that allows only for the same tone to be used for encode and decode. I currently have it set to the repeater's access tone with my receiver open...and I am receiving the interference.

This is probably an easy answer...I just haven't found it yet.

Thanks!
Ron
K0RDQ

W2NJS

Your best bet to solve the problem would be to ask the repeater owner to make both tones the same. It is common practice for amateur HTs to NOT be able to do separate tx and rx tones. It is common practice for commercial radios, OTOH, to have this capability, the reason being that the agency knows that everyone monitoring will use the rx pl but they don't want you to know the tx pl (into the repeater) pl so you can't interfere with it. That reasoning certainly does not apply to ham repeaters so it's rather difficult to imagine why yours is set up this way, unless yours is some kind of closed repeater. Good luck in getting the tones changed.

N4KVE

My friend did this years ago. The receiver got interference from the transmitter since they both had the same PL tone. When he changed the RX PL tone, the interference went away. GARY N4KVE

Status
Not open for further replies.