• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ICOM accessory port compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
I manage a small fleet of ICOM radios, consisting of 5 F4001s, 2 F24s, an F4011 and an F21.

Two days ago, I was told that the earpieces that we use with the F4001s did not work with the F24s or the F4001 (no one tried to use an earpiece with the F21.) The person who tried it reported that you could hear the receive audio, but when you pushed the earpiece PTT, no TX audio would be transmitted.

The connectors on those radios all appear to be the same. I did notice that the small pin port on the F4001s had a silver metal ring around it, while the ones on the F4011 and F24s looked like black plastic.

I haven't had a chance to perform my own test yet on the F24s or F4011, but the accessory ports all look the same and the F4011s even take the same accessories as the F4001s. The connectors for the earpieces fit all radios and screw down without a problem.

I've tried to look for pin out diagrams, but can't find anything. Does anyone know if they are indeed the same?

wwhitby

Feed Provider

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Just to close out the loop, we figured out what the problem is.

For the F4001s, you could tighten down the screws finger tight and the earpiece would work fine.

However, for the other radios, you had to use a screwdriver to tighten them completely down. Finger tight would keep the transmit from working. After tightening them completely down, the TX worked fine.

Weird, but at least i've got a solution! :D

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
One other caution:

Electrically, all 2-pin mics are the same, and use the same screw spacing. The difference is in the mounting recess. Newer radios have a more water-resistant rounded recess. Mid-age radios have square recesses, and very old ones have no recess.

For the most part, you can put a round plug in a square hole, but not visa-versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.