ICOM AH-7000 Discone - Screws

Status
Not open for further replies.

CYUL

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I need to change the hex screws on my AH7000 that support the lower ground plane elements. Does anyone have the screw size for these? I no longer have any documentation for this antenna. I purchased it in 1986.

Hi CYUL,
I have a couple of the AH-7000's and the piece of paper that came with them (the manual if you wish) and believe it or not that piece of paper has every bolt, nut, clamp size and even the element lengths but not the set screw sizes...
So if you can wait a day or two as they are calling for rain and lightning I will climb the tower (need to get up there anyway) with my wrenches and find out for you.
AH-7000.gif

CYUL

Premium Subscriber
Hi, really appreciate the responses, apologies had a senior moment, I know the size of the screws, I was wondering about the type of screw with the pointed end if there was a specific name it for it?

Ok well I went up there just now and also just now found out my son was into my tap and die set... Grrrr!!!
Anyway here goes:

Thread Size M4
Thread Pitch 0.7 mm
Length 6 mm
Drive Size 2 mm
Cone Point

CYUL

Premium Subscriber
Ok well I went up there just now and also just now found out my son was into my tap and die set... Grrrr!!!
Anyway here goes:

Thread Size M4
Thread Pitch 0.7 mm
Length 6 mm
Drive Size 2 mm
Cone Point
Thank you for doing this! Really appreciate it!

I think they are called Grub Screws....Make sure they are stainless steel.

Nope, cone point... At least that is what is on both of my AH-7000's
I mean yeah you can use Grub Screws if that is what you have, I'm not going to argue, cuz it's not my antenna you would be putting them in anyway...

RFI-EMI-GUY

Nope, cone point... At least that is what is on both of my AH-7000's
I mean yeah you can use Grub Screws if that is what you have, I'm not going to argue, cuz it's not my antenna you would be putting them in anyway...
Yeah they are cone pointed Grub set screws. But you can also buy a cone pointed hex head bolt. If you walk into a random hardware store and ask for a cone pointed screw they may not know where to send you. A Grub screw is a Grub screw and if it happens to be cone pointed then you are in luck.

1625711462650.gif

Being a machine repair technician who has been working on all types of metal fabricating machinery all over the state of Michigan for quite a while now, I find that everybody I come in contact with that needs one doesn't call them "grub screws" they ask for a "(whatever specific type) set screw".
Oh and might I add that I also work with technicians who come from all over the world, Canada, Mexico, Germany, Sweden, South Korea, India, Turkey and on and on and they too call them "(whatever specific type) set screw"...
Heck, even McMaster Carr (who has been in the business for much longer than SunFlexMetal) calls them "(whatever specific type) set screw"...
So call them whatever you want to, hell, you could even call them pink for all I care, doesn't matter to me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.