ICOM Announces their new D-Star Radio for 2014 - ICOM IC-5100D

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Scheduled to be available in later February, ICOM Worldwide announces an new addition to their successful D-Star Digital lineup for Amateur Radio.

The ICOM IC-5100 / IC-5100D Dual Band 2-Meter (VHF) and 70-CM (UHF) Mobile Radio

http://www.icom.co.jp/release/20140130/

IW5EDI Simone – Ham-Radio | Icom ID-5100

Main Features Include:

• Touch Screen Operation
  • True Dual D-Star Digital Receive (Both Left & Right side of the radio)
  • Optional Bluetooth
  • Preprogrammed D-Star Digital Repeaters List
  • And more...

This is the replacement for the ICOM IC-2820H Dual Band Mobile... More to follow as press releases hit the internet!

Jerry, W2GLD

Last edited:

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Sorry guys, I had a type on the model number; it should be ID-5100 / ID-5100D...

Here's another link with as well...

http://vk5rex.squarespace.com/blog/2014/1/30/new-d-star-radio-from-icom-the-id-5100.html

ID5100.jpg

Last edited:

airems

Nice radio with a nice price tag. What's the usual time frame for type acceptance by FCC now days?

N8OHU

If they can pull off all of the features, it's going to make the FTM-400DR look pitiful. It might not have a color screen, but I really don't need that if it ends up as readable as it looks in the images I've seen so far.

n8emr

How about a reasonable priced icom dual band radio..... Dont care about dstar.....

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
How about a reasonable priced icom dual band radio..... Dont care about dstar.....

Not likely as the push to move towards digital is going to expand from ALL manufacturers soon... The days of analog are about to become history...

Whatever your flavor, be it D-Star, NXDN, MOTOTRBO (DMR), Project-25; digital is here and will only get bigger within the ham bands, INCLUDING HF soon...

BTW, for those who do not know, EVERY D-Star radio also still support analog FM both 25.0 kHz. and 12.5 kHz. bandwidth, as for most NXDN and DMR radios. You can still have your cake and eat it to; it's just time to upgrade to newer equipment.

Those who still run old radios that don't even have PL board will just be left behind in the dust... I mean seriously now, it's 2014 and it's time to retire those 1970's and 80's radios for cooler technology that is bringing new life to an otherwise dying hobby... If amateur radio is to survive, EVERYONE has to be willing to adapt and work towards the common goal of experimentation in technology in order to keep moving forward; if you want a private chat line for the good'ol boys, there's always CB and FRS radio.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
My first impression of the screen was that it is the same as a IC-7100 which I have, just a different height to width ratio. Used inside just like the IC-7000 I sold, but very readable (IC-7100).
Mike

If they can pull off all of the features, it's going to make the FTM-400DR look pitiful. It might not have a color screen, but I really don't need that if it ends up as readable as it looks in the images I've seen so far.

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, this thread is about the new Icom dual-band D-Star mobile radio. Let's stay on topic.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
As usual, the price quoted for digital radios will leave a lot out of the picture and not just for OM. If the audio is not any better than the other D-Star I'm afraid it will not make be interested.

Kasmus

I wonder if they fixed the RFI-issue that caused the PTT to get stuck on the 2820.

AE7Q

Premium Subscriber
Waiting ...

This is the replacement for the ICOM IC-2820H Dual Band Mobile
It's about time. I like my IC-2820H, but it needs an upgrade. I know I'll have to route a new control head cable (presumably shielded 8-conductor rather than 4), but I hope the mounting bracket is the same (or at least will mount in the same holes in the foot).

Status
Not open for further replies.