• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom Antenna Adpater

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
What kind of adapter would I need to fit snugly and securely on this Icom F9011? See picture below. It would be nice to find something that would use the outer most threads versus the interior threads so that I keeps everything clean.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-24 at 5.29.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-24 at 5.29.12 PM.png
    193.5 KB · Views: 485

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No, it looks like a female SMA. The AD98 is the older stud mount used on the F4's, etc.

I'm not 100% sure that it is an SMA, but that's what it looks like. I haven't had my hands on an Icom portable in a few years.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
So I probably need something like this...

s-l300.jpg

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yes.

Is this for testing or for daily use?

Icom used to strongly encourage that these were for testing only and not intended to regular use as they tend to put some extra strain on the connector.

If you can, use a actual extension coax to reduce the chances of damage.

gesucks

Premium Subscriber
No not like the Jedi. The Icom is a Mil Spec SMA connector. All the newer Moto connectors are a proprietary modified SMA (different length and base level and pin depth).

Do not use an adapter like above, it is too short. Use a Mil Spec SMA adapter. Do NOT buy a adapter from a HAM or scanner shop. Use Tessco or the like and get a real adapter and follow the Icom Torque specs when putting it on.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
No not like the Jedi. The Icom is a Mil Spec SMA connector. All the newer Moto connectors are a proprietary modified SMA (different length and base level and pin depth).

Do not use an adapter like above, it is too short. Use a Mil Spec SMA adapter. Do NOT buy a adapter from a HAM or scanner shop. Use Tessco or the like and get a real adapter and follow the Icom Torque specs when putting it on.

New moto's don't use SMA (at least the US models). They use a modified MX connector which is dimensionally identical to the SMA used on the Jedi/Astro/Astro 25/XPR6000 radios. However, like the MX connector the ring is actually the hot side of the antenna and the tip is for the GPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
Most of our PD Officers wear their radio on their belt and use a lapel mic of different sorts. We operate a conventional VHF Simulcast System with several sites however they still run into coverage issues. A good portion I suspect are user and/or equipment error or failure.

Some of our Officers have starting wearing a Molle style vest which allows them to distribute the weight and access equipment easier.

I have seen some options on the internet that would allow for alternative antenna placement locations on the Molle Vest. See some of the pictures. Below. I figured I would try to come up with a prototype to see if it truly does make any difference. I thought having the BNC connected at the radio would allow them to easily connect and disconnect the antenna coax and putting on and taking off their vest.

8eaa97b51f6e9bae86d4fe6d0bbeedf3.jpg

IMG_20150113_090714_181%5B1%5D.jpg

7cd4f767f81c1eddc6371f447a68664f.jpg

04c80f2e825ea849cd6505eeb23c1f96.jpg

I am not real optimistic about it working but apparently it must be doing something for other folks or they wouldn't be doing it.

What say you?

Project25_MASTR

Motorola style public safety mics come into mind. Now if I could only remember the company that made some for Icom.

12dbsinad

Now if I could only remember the company that made some for Icom.

Pryme made these. They worked well but the weak point was the 90 degree coax at the antenna connector. They have stopped producing these, but wish they would return with a little design tweaking.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Keep in mind that by taking the antenna off the radio and putting it on the end of a bunch of coax is going to reduce it's available ground plane.
Most hand held's don't care about this as they are pretty forgiving about mismatched antennas. However, you might want to consider this when picking the antennas you are going to use.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Motorola's MX (and other legacy radios) antenna connector is not a modified SMA. It is a metric threaded stud. Never attempt to mount an SMA antenna in the MX type socket or do the reverse. It absolutely will not work and will do damage.

The BNC connector would be a poor choice for use as a quick disconnect in a vest/belt mounted situation with the antenna retained on the vest.

There are better connectors for that. But none I'm aware of that I would describe as ideal.

I'd describe the ideal QD rf connector for field use as being one that is physically as robust as an N connector, mates via a spring loaded snap ring (pull to remove, push to install) excludes dust and water, and is configured for easy handling and good grip even when wearing gloves.

Nothing I'm aware of quite fits that entire bill. Perhaps there's a buck to be made designing it.

Last edited:

gesucks

Premium Subscriber
New moto's don't use SMA (at least the US models). They use a modified MX connector which is dimensionally identical to the SMA used on the Jedi/Astro/Astro 25/XPR6000 radios. However, like the MX connector the ring is actually the hot side of the antenna and the tip is for the GPS.

Please know what you are talking about before giving advice.

A Motorola MX connector is a solid base connector with no center pin and much larger than an SMA

All Motorola Public Safety radio for the last 20 years have use a proprietary SMA connector. From the ASTRO (XTS3000 ASTRO Saber) to ASTRO25 (XTS2500 XTS5000) to current APX.

The difference between a Mil Spec SMA and a Motorola SMA are small. Number of treads, depth of connector, how far down the insulator on the socket for the center pin goes.

Your comment about the GPS and the hot side for the antenna is complete BS. The GPS signal is tapped at the antenna port via a series resonant network which provides a very low capacities load to the transceiver. The connector is a standard ground to the outer ring and antenna load to the pin.

Please take the time to read a service manual before you give that kind of false info.

Project25_MASTR

Please know what you are talking about before giving advice.

A Motorola MX connector is a solid base connector with no center pin and much larger than an SMA

All Motorola Public Safety radio for the last 20 years have use a proprietary SMA connector. From the ASTRO (XTS3000 ASTRO Saber) to ASTRO25 (XTS2500 XTS5000) to current APX.

The difference between a Mil Spec SMA and a Motorola SMA are small. Number of treads, depth of connector, how far down the insulator on the socket for the center pin goes.

Your comment about the GPS and the hot side for the antenna is complete BS. The GPS signal is tapped at the antenna port via a series resonant network which provides a very low capacities load to the transceiver. The connector is a standard ground to the outer ring and antenna load to the pin.

Please take the time to read a service manual before you give that kind of false info.

I stand corrected (after a quick check of the DSM for the APX6k).

cmdrwill

So the REAL story is Get the proper adapter for your ICOM radio from ICOM.

For the vest, none of those antennas have the counterpoise or ground plane needed to work correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.