ICOM APRS radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emd001

Hey all,
So as previously stated I am hoping to get APRS setup in the truck during the christmas holidays. I want a GPS unit with map for navigation and also for object plotting and messaging. The budget is still up in the air, if I have a grand then obviously I will go with the kenwood D710A and the AVMap6 because that obviously is the ultimate APRS setup. But I also want to have a plan B when it comes time to execute. So now for the questions

1. I have seen the Nuvi 350 everywhere since it can work in the "dispatch" mode, I know this is a few year old GPS unit, does it still have some life or is it on its way out in terms of support by satellites and what not?

2. I think for the budget build I am pretty set on the OT2 since it looks like it is nice and easy to configure and use with the Nuvi and a 2 meter radio.

3a. Can I use any 2 meter radio or does it need to have a data port? I would put ease of use over price since this is my first time experimenting with any of this.

3b. I just ran across this rig tonight. IC-2200H 144MHz FM Transceiver - Features - Icom America I says all it needs is the GPS output through a serial cable correct? So this rig doesn't need a TNC between it and the Nuvi unit or am I completely reading this wrong?

I appreciate everyone here for the help and advice that is always available.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

There thing with going with a 2m rig is that it would be dedicated. Any 2m rig will work. Argent Data sells cables to mate with a wide rage of radios. I am waiting for my ot2 and I am going to be using an old IC-32 handheld as my dedicated APRS radio. I am on the hunt for a nuvi350 for my display but for now it will be a dumb tracker untill I can afford the nuvi.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I do not think the 2200 will do APRS as your thinking, the data plug is for RS-232 in conjunction with the Dstar modual. There are cables to take RX data from the speaker plug and ptt, Tx data to the OT2

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I run an Icom 2720 Dualbander for APRS in my van. The right bank is APRS connected to my TinyTrak3+/GPS via the 6pin din. The Left side is set for all voice. It's not a true APRS radio, but serves well and I can bump the power in fringe areas.

LtDoc

Any radio capable of operating on the right frequency can be used an an APRS transmitter. All that's needed is to feed that radio with the appropriate information in the right format. There are as many ways of doing that 'feeding' as there are radios and TNCs and is basically a matter of interfacing things for compatibility.
The easiest way of doing that is using a radio that has all that stuff built into it, right? But that certainly doesn't mean that assembling all that stuff correctly yourself isn't possible, that's how it was 'done' to start with before some manufacturer put it all into one 'box'.
What's the 'best' way for you to do APRS? Well, that depends on you. I'm lazy. I let someone else do all that thinking and assembling of stuff and making it all compatible. I have a preference in radio brands too. That preference probably isn't the same as yours. So, best general advice I can think of is to look at everything you can find about APRS in general and what equipment is available. Then, you decide what's 'best' for you.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

K4APR

Take a look at our YagTracker:

http://www.rpc-electronics.com/yagtracker.php

Very similar in features to the D710. No need to buy a whole new radio because it can be interfaced to any 2m FM radio. Just add a GPS, either a 5V mouse style or even mapping like a older style Garmin with serial interface or the popular AvMap. Even without a mapping GPS, you still have a map plot screen that maps all of the stations in your list. We have a built in relay digipeater.

See the website for more details, screenshots and the manual in PDF format.

As usual, I am available to answer questions!

K7TKR

Premium Subscriber
Hey all,
So as previously stated I am hoping to get APRS setup in the truck during the christmas holidays. I want a GPS unit with map for navigation and also for object plotting and messaging. The budget is still up in the air, if I have a grand then obviously I will go with the kenwood D710A and the AVMap6 because that obviously is the ultimate APRS setup. But I also want to have a plan B when it comes time to execute. So now for the questions

1. I have seen the Nuvi 350 everywhere since it can work in the "dispatch" mode, I know this is a few year old GPS unit, does it still have some life or is it on its way out in terms of support by satellites and what not?

2. I think for the budget build I am pretty set on the OT2 since it looks like it is nice and easy to configure and use with the Nuvi and a 2 meter radio.

3a. Can I use any 2 meter radio or does it need to have a data port? I would put ease of use over price since this is my first time experimenting with any of this.

3b. I just ran across this rig tonight. IC-2200H 144MHz FM Transceiver - Features - Icom America I says all it needs is the GPS output through a serial cable correct? So this rig doesn't need a TNC between it and the Nuvi unit or am I completely reading this wrong?

I appreciate everyone here for the help and advice that is always available.

I did not go with the AVMap when I purchased my 710A because being a trucker, I already have a truck specific device on my dash and simply have no more room. So to solve the problem, I bought and installed the Green Light Labs GPS module which gives me gps capabilities but without the map display. It was a lot cheaper ( in price) from the AV Map and a good compromise if your budget is really tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.