• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom CSM-88 Software Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE3WTV

Hello radio friends,

I looked all over this site for about an hour trying to find the best section to post this, and couldn't find an ideal forum. Nothing dedicated to tranceiver software, or marine tranceivers, or programming land/mobile frequencies, so I chose this one.

Before I state my problem and questions, I should disclose my qualifications. Over the years, and on many forums and email lists, I have encountered many touchy people. They get touchy about copying vinyl records, and.... I guess I'll stop there. Anyway, just so you know, I am not one of those people.

So, I have an ROC-A, and an ROC-M. The marine card is great. The aeronautical card is awful. I wish they would change it. I am working on my amatuer license. I have the exam generator on my computer, and the last (second) time I wrote it, I got 57/100. Pretty crappy. Anyway, I'm trying.

So... I have an Icom M-88 IS, and the CSM-88 program, which I bought from a reputable online radio retailer, from Pennsylvania I think. The disc was $50.

There are four COMM ports to choose from in the software. I have connected my M-88 and opened the program several times, but I have not been able to connect the radio to the software, or the computer. The cable seems to work fine, and the physical connection looked good, but a COMM port wouldn't recognize the radio.

My goal in this (no, I'm not breaking any laws) is to program some amateur frequencies into the radio to use when I'm on a boat, so I don't have to use a second radio, which I would have anyway; but I like to have as many options as possible.

I'm hoping somebody here has used the software, and can help me get it working.

I have pictures of the radio connection and the error messages that popped up when I clicked on 'Connect' in the software. Most forums don't allow image posting to newbies, so I'm not inclined to try at this point.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I've moved this to the Icom Land Mobile forum. Seems like the best fit for your question.

VE3WTV

Thank you for your help, Mike. Honestly, now I can't remember where I posted this. I clicked on Land/Mobile thinking I might have put it here.

VE3WTV

I'm doing a test here, to see if I can post an image of the program.

img<http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/41/tf6a.jpg>img

cabletech

So, the main problem seems to be, you can not get the com port to work, correct?

First off, where did you get the cable and do you have the cable device driver installed?

Plug the cable into a port, then open your device manager and click on com ports and it should show you which port that was assigned to the cable.

Many of the the Icom programs, even thru the will show muliti ports, do not like to connect to cables, (even the factory type), using ports above 5 maybe 6.

I always make sure that all my cables use port 2-5 and I have always been able to do a connection.

Recheck your port settings and then try to connect.

I also see you posted a screen shot of the adj software, remember that you ALWAYS need to READ the radio first then do the changes or adjustments.

VE3WTV

Thank you, Cabletech. I am trying to follow up on your points.

I didn't post the other error message screen shot, but when I plugged the cable in the USB port, I would get a box saying the ser2pl.sys was required. It was present, as I had downloaded all files from the driver disc that came with the cable into the computer, but it must have been corrupted. I found the file in a Google search (This is the best place to get it: Florida Probe | Go-Probe System | FP32 Software: Support. Don't download a 'downloader.') So, I replaced the ser2pl.sys file with a new one. Then I plugged the cable in again, and did not get the error message this time. Instead, Windows said my device was installed and was ready to use.

Then I connected the radio to the cable, opened the M-88adj program, chose a comm port, and clicked Connect.

The same 'Cannot connect' error message popped up again. I repeatedly chose different comm ports, to no avail. Now the cable works, but the radio still won't connect. Any suggestions?

nevets10

Premium Subscriber
Try this:
Go to Control Panel...System...Devise Manager...Hardware....Ports.

It will then show you which port you are connected with. There are typically many more than 4. Your Icom software should have a pull-down menu to select the proper port number.

Hope this helps

Jataylor

Premium Subscriber
Icom CSM-88 Programing

I am trying to program some of my M-88 VHF Marine radios 22 available LM frequencies. I Have Cable and Software. Software reads radio and indicates that it is writing the changes but they don't show up as being installed on the radio. Any offers of help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.