• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom F1821 Programming Help pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

phammer1

Santa was nice to this wildland firefighter, and brought him (ok, UPS helped a bit!) an ICOM 1821 (analog) and programming software and cable.

Couple of questions as I anxiously await the UPS guy's face in the driveway bringing me my box...

1) Scan feature: I understand you can have mulitiple scan banks (zones)... How would one recommend setting up zones like 1) All Fire Dispatch, 2) All Wildland, 3) All LEO and then All frequencys in radio?

2) Two Tone feature: I'm assuming these are Two Tone Motorola tones, like for the Minitor etc? Any suggestions on how to set this up? I respond with two districts, one of which uses Two Tone on the minitor, one that uses digital paging - I know I can't do the digital paging, but can I set this up to receive and tone for the two tone, no matter what channel I'm on?

3) Scan Settings - can anyone fill me in on these settings?

Thanks much!!

PM or email is fine, or reply to thread.

RADIOGUY2002

I can help you out with the two tone

I can help you out with the two tone and give you some guidance on the scan setup. I just like to know what you want to have setup per say. Do you know the respective tones for activing the mintor, if you do setup is easy

CubaChief502

Premium Subscriber
How do you turn off the function that requires the microphone to be grounded before the radio will scan? This is about to drive me up the wall!

Many Thanks,

C. R. Vaughan

nhfirefighter

How do you turn off the function that requires the microphone to be grounded before the radio will scan? This is about to drive me up the wall!

Many Thanks,

C. R. Vaughan

There is no setting in the cps for this. The only way is to ground the mic.

stevelton

What?

If you are asking if you can make the radio scan without having to place the mic on a grounded mic hook, yes you can do that.

Under Common-Key & Display- Hanger Action: With the option to set "Hook to Scan", make this "Off". Then it wont matter if the mic is on or off the hook, Grounded or not, it wont do anything to the scanning of the radio. Now you will need to make a button on the front panel as a "Scan start/Stop" button. Then you can control the scan with the button Only.

Steven

CubaChief502

Premium Subscriber
I have done that on every unit that I have put into service and the microphone still requires a ground. I have never operated a radio that this was required on and your couldn't turn it off. I have made a call to the dealer and have fire and email off to Icom Tech Support. I would imagine that I will not have an answer before Monday at the earliest. If anyone has any other suggestions I am certainly open to learning the trick required to make this one scan wihtout grounding.

Thanks,

C. R. Vaughan

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Option 1: Open the mic and solder a jumper between the hanger (the part looking for a ground) and the PTT switch case which is grounded. If you have a spare mic, you can pick which one you use. Just remember that if programmed to do so, CTCSS RX will not be disabled when off-hook.The radio now thinks the modified mic is on-hook at all times.

Option 2: IF you have the right equipment, ie a low heat needle point iron and low temp solder and desolder wick, remove the head.
a-Remove one screw on either side of the head. They pass through the head mounting tabs and may have to gently be coaxed out.
b-CAREFULLY remove the ribbon cable from the head- look at its seating depth so you will know when its back together properly and remember the orientation.
c-Look for three 1/8" diameter solder 'beans' marked "CP2 CP3 CP1" in the upper middle of the front board. CP2 is closed by a small board trace by default.
d-Use a tiny drop of solder to close CP1, the one all the way to the right. This is provided to do what you want to do an enable off-hook scan. If you overheat the nearby IC's you will brick the radio.
e-I also like to add a ground jumper between the metal grounding tab and main board ground. I've had some radios in some cars that were overly sensitive to alternator whine and this helps.
f- Use your FINGERS and reassemble the ribbon cable- remember the orientation and depth from above?
g-Reassemble the head to the mainframe, making sure the ribbon cable isn't pinched between the ground tab and chassis. The cable is slightly offset and likes to wander under the tab.

When using the radio, make sure that you transmit on the right channel while in scan. That selection can be different for each scan mode used.

Last edited:

CubaChief502

Premium Subscriber
Many thanks... I was afraid that it wouldn't be easy. I will have to get one of the ham guys on it or I will just bite the bullet and order the desk mike that can be obtained for this unit. At the moment I have an alligator clip between the microphone clip and the negative post on the power supply. Makes for a messy install, but allows the radio to work.

So far the reciever seems top notch and considering the repeaters we use are only a few blocks away the transmit it great.

Thanks Again,

C. R. Vaughan

RADIOGUY2002

Check off hook scanning and on hook scanning, put both on the off setting if this is a software feature. That how I got mind to work with no grounding. See if that works.

CubaChief502

Premium Subscriber
I have a question regarding the priority scan modes on the F1821? It would seem that I can't get my radio to opeate with priority scan. I have selected a Priority A and B and have tried every priority scan mode in existence... No matter what I do the radio will continue to listen to the conversation that has the scan stopped and not revert to priority like it should. Am I missing something?

CubaChief502

Premium Subscriber
Figured it out... The default settings in the stop scan settings are way out of the normal range. All fixed and better now!

Jandreoli2

Just a quick question. New to mobiles, just purchased a 2821. When programming via pc, does the radio have to be separately connected to power, or will it work by just plugging in the mobile to the cable to the pc?

Prolly a super-newbie question, but I am just wondering?

I current use the F80DT Portable, and am receiving my 2821 on monday. (Same model but in the UHF band as the 1821).

Thanks for the answer in advance!

Duster40

The radio has to be turned on to be programmed.
Turn it on AFTER you have the programming cable connected
to the radio.
#1.....bring up the programming screen on the computer.
#2.....connect the programming cable to the radio.
#3.....turn the radio on.
#4.....now go to the computer program & make sure that
the computer program recognizes that the radio is connected.
Now have fun.....

Jandreoli2

Programming Help

So...

Is there a product that anyone can recommend like from radioshack that will allow me to connect the radio to an AC outlet so I can program it. I only have the windows software on my desktop, and an apple laptop, so I don't have a movable computer so the radio must come to my desktop to be programmed.

Any advice?
Thanks!

Duster40

Since you will only be in a receive mode, & not be transmitting,
any small power supply that provides 12 volts will work.
I don't think that Radio Shack will have the T-connector for
the wiring.....I have used small insulated alligator clips ..be
very careful with these. Make sure that your connections
do not touch each other BEFORE turning on the power supply.
Have your computer program on-screen & the programming
cable connected to the radio before turning on the radio.
The radio display will show the words CLONE while in that mode,
& you should hear a BEEP when programming is finished.
Now turn the radio itself OFF, disconnect the computer programming
cable, then the radio back ON, & check your channel selections.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.