• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom F70T and F1821 MDC 1200 Feature Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7SAC

I have a F70T Portable and F1821 Mobile. In the programming software I see nothing having to do with the MDC 1200 features. I am running CS-70/1700 software version 2.0. Any ideas?

--Scott

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I have an 1821D and software version 2.2. I show an entire section in the software dedicated to MDC. I have not programmed any MDC features into the radio as of yet and I'm a relatively new owner, but it appears here that I could easily do it if need be.

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
You should see A side menu that says MDC then click it to drop it down.If it is not showing up you may need to go the top and select the model.....

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
That's probably it. If the radio is set as Portable BIIS PMR or Mobile BIIS PMR the MDC menu will not appear. All other possible radio settings offer MDC as a menu item.

N7SAC

It's gotta be my software version then. I'm not showing any MDC settings no matter what model I select.

--Scott

N7SAC

I had the 2.1 software and all three of my radios (1821, F70 and F2821) didn't show the MDC options. I had someone read them with the 2.2 software and the MDC functions show on the 2821 and F70. However my 1821 is not showing the MDC options. Do I need to upgrade the firmware?

I have a question on the firmware also. Is it 1 Firmware file the will upgrade this entire series of radios? I'll probably start a new thread on the firmware thing.

sar_deputy

Ic 1721/f70 Mdc

First I did discover that there were two versions of programing software. 1 with MDC, 1 without.

We have aprox 100 F1721's all MDC enabled. But ran into an issue. Radios that were delivered later work fine with MDC PTTDown. First set of radio would not transmit with PTTDown set. But work fine with PTTUp. I believe it would be an FIRMWARE issue. Spoke to Icom Support. Read off versions to them they state should not be the issue that radio needs to be returned. We are talking 45+ units in active Fire and EMS units. Can't afford to take units out of service.
Can a current/newer firmware be found.
Thanks,

PS wish ICOM had more function buttons so that more of the MDC functions along with Normal daily could be used.

N2DLX

Premium Subscriber
The latest firmware for analog radios is v2.6. Latest firmware for digital radios is v2.5. One firmware file can update both the portables and mobiles, it just depends if you're using digital or not.

To check your firmware version, turn off the radio. Then hold down P0 and P3 while turning the radio on, and it will display the radio's firmware, and the firmware of the P25 unit (if installed).

Larryfire26

Premium Subscriber
UPdated Firmware/software

Ok here is a good question:

You call Icom they say contact a dealer, ok you contact a dealer and they have no idea what you are talking about! So with that said where does one get the latest firmware /software for an f80dt with P25

I also have a 3061 any way that can have MDC on it or do I need to upgrade the radio

Thanks

Larry W2LGB

RADIOGUY2002

3061 are not capable, only the 3161's are. The next version up, and yes their are dealers that have the right firmware. Just ask around and maybe you come into luck. Don't give up on just that one guy or dealer. The other issue is you may need to go back to the dealer that sold you your erquipment as some may not be so fourth coming in sharing.

As far as the ptt id down or up prolbems, ask Icom the give you loaners until the prolbem is reslove. Tell them you like their product and being in public saftey you need a turn key system. And if that does not work seek out management and advise of the sceranio. Somehow I think they'll make an effort to fix your equipment at that point, their tring to get in the business of public saftey. Not lose public saftey, you case story assuming everything is acurate (why it shouldn't be) already leaves bad tastes in people mouth of they were about to choose Icom. Their fore that alone should help make them step up to the plate, however not that I'm siding with Icom or you as I do not know all the details.

PS wish ICOM had more function buttons so that more of the MDC functions along with Normal daily could be used. I think we all wish for more function buttons for the more advanced users, but realistically how many of us are their that understand these concepts. You have to rember what the product is being marketed for. Not that I disagree with you by no means, more buttons is always a good thing, but how many buttons are too many? Take a look at the new p25 radios and see how many buttons are on those. Gradually change comes with the ability to peer review right, as long as people listen.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Ok here is a good question:

You call Icom they say contact a dealer, ok you contact a dealer and they have no idea what you are talking about! So with that said where does one get the latest firmware /software for an f80dt with P25

I also have a 3061 any way that can have MDC on it or do I need to upgrade the radio

Thanks

Larry W2LGB

You're contacting the wrong dealer. you might try contacting the Icom pro's: Two-Way Radios and Other Wireless Products and Solutions from BearCom

baker954

Premium Subscriber
I'm glad you have the ability to read/write the radio! :)

I constantly get "no answer from Transciever". Been all over the web trying to find information, but I can't seem to find any. Anyone got some pointers?!

N2DLX

Premium Subscriber
kc8svs,

Try holding down the P0 button while turning the radio on, then try reading the radio. This disables anything tying up the radio's serial interface (shared with programming) that interferes with the software. Until you disable anything using the serial interface (like GPS, Printer, PC Command), the radio will have to be powered up with the P0 button to read or write each time.

cortchubby

BIIS not active?

Have no issue with MDC on mine. (using 2.2 V software)

DO however find that when I go to load BIIS program into radio (V2.6/P25 V2.5) the computer states
"connected tranceiver doesnt now have BIIS function.

Ok...is this an add on part as if I read correctly this is supposed to come with the radio along with 2/5 tone signalling.
If so can someone PLEASE tell me how to activate this via the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.