Icom IC-2100H

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
I just baught my first 2m mobile radio. I purchased an Icom IC-2100H. I hope it's a good radio. Have had my license for two months and had the itch bad, so I won this one on ebay. Now I just hope it works, and I can get it hooked up. 73's

DODGEIT

The 2100H is a good radio. The only thing I have heard on them is they sometimes develop a crackle noise in the speaker. I've read that you have to remove the cover and loosen and retighten the main board screws and that seems to fix it.

W2NJS

If you didn't receive a manual with the radio I think you can download it from Icom. You'll save a lot of time if you have the manual rather than try to figure out all the programming on your own.

Trekker65

Premium Subscriber
I just baught my first 2m mobile radio. I purchased an Icom IC-2100H. I hope it's a good radio. Have had my license for two months and had the itch bad, so I won this one on ebay. Now I just hope it works, and I can get it hooked up. 73's
I have one of these radios also and consider it to be a good radio. My only complaint was the thin sound from the built in speaker. The first addition I made was a remote speaker that made the sound much better. Radio scans fast and is easy to program without software. Have always had good signal reports. Hope you got the HM 133-S microphone with it. Let us know if you need a copy of the manual or further assistance with the new treasure.

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys! It stated that it came with the manual, but I did download it from Icom so I could start looking through it. You know, to be a little familiar with it with I get it. It has the HM-98S (according to the manual) but who knows. If I can get my RS Pro96 digital scanner sold or traded off I'll get some more stuff!
73's KJ4TVL

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
I think I got took a second time by eBay. Tell me what you think!

I downloaded the owner’s manual from Icom on the radio I just purchased on eBay. While reading through the manual I downloaded on the recently won Icom – IC-2100H 2m VHF Mobile amateur radio, which I haven’t received yet, I read the following:

OUTPUT POWER/DUPLEX SWITCH [LOW(DUP)]
➥ Each push changes the output power selection. (p. 19)
• There are 3 output powers available: low, mid and high
(the IC-2100-T Thailand and IC-2100H Taiwan versions have
only 2 output powers).

Further down in the manual I saw this:

The transceiver has 3* output power levels to suit your operating requirements. Low output powers during short-distance communications may reduce the possibility of interference to other stations and will reduce current consumption. *The Thailand and Taiwan versions have only 2 levels.

POWER OUTPUT
?????? Thailand-T Taiwan-H
55 W 10 W 25 W
10 W — —
5 W 5 W 5 W

25 watts max? What happened?

Now, the eBay description for the equipment read the following:

ICOM IC-2100H TWO METER TRANSCEIVER

This radio RX's and TX's. I can not tell just how well, because I do not have the equipment to test for that. The Display is very good with no missing digits or discoloration. No mounting bracket
Original Manual included
• Encode/Decode
• Tone Scan
• 113 Memories
• Scanning
• Time-Out Timer
• Call Channel
• 55/10/5 Watts Output
• Call Channel
• Priority Watch
• Remote Hand Mic(HM-98s DTMF)

Now you can see where I have a problem. I’m not getting the “POWER” described in the ad. This is the second eBay item I have purchased that had a “mis-leading” description. The first one I kept, figuring that it was my fault for purchasing something with such a vague description on the “TX frequencies”. Should I be penalized for not “downloading and reading the owner’s manual” before actually purchasing this item? Any thoughts?

Thanks for viewing.
KJ4TVL

K8PBX

Although the eBay seller's description as to TX/RX operation is a little sketchy, he does indicate 55/10/5 Watts Output. Until you get the radio and test it, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions just yet.

Why are you thinking it's a lower power Thailand or Taiwan version? Note, the "H" in the model number does not automatically mean it's a Taiwan version.
I've owned three IC2100H radios and all were 55/10/5 Watts Output.

Last edited:

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
I guess its hard to trust anything you read. The manual states that the IC-2100"H" is the Tiawan version, and thta the power settings for that model are HIGH=25w and LOW=5w. I guess I expect too much from such an "icon" in the amateur radio community. I guess I've just been shafted too many times, and when you spend all you have available for something you were looking forward to, you tend to get a little upset or confused. Thanks for you reply Steve.

D00D

I have the 2100 installed in my truck as my dedicated APRS radio. Not a bad little radio. Just in case you don't get the manual let me know. I have it in PDF format.

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
Thanks DooD. I downloaded the manual. I wanted to read up on the radio before it got here. That's whats caused all my confusion on the expected wattage.

D00D

Well doesn't that beat all? The last post I saw from you was the 12:09 one or I wouldn't have offered the manual. Strange.

fwiw I have the H and it's 55W or something like that.

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
Ok, got my IC-2100H Friday evening. Was exciting jut to open up the box, to see my first ham rig. Now I'll have to find a way to power it up. It has a plastic connector on the power wires, but no attachable power line of any kind. Since it has to be connected directly to the car battery, it will take some wiring. Since my wife has a new car, would it be better to let someone at the dealership add the wiring so not to mess up any warranty on the vehicle? Or someone who can ge the wiring throught the firewall and to the console area, like a stereo installation shop? It will have to have a 20a fuse on the line, as stated by the radio owner's manual.

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
Well, getting tired of checking this, checking that! Found the power cord(s). Got the long one for the car, and a short one for the house (both double fused as recommended). Purchased a MFJ power supply for the house. Had already purchased a mag mount 2m/70cm antenna. Maybe I can finally transmit this weekend! Amen and 73's :)

Any recommendation on an SWR/Wat meter anyone (Cheap as possible).

Last edited:

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
Well, so much for getting on the air this weekend! My power cables won't be here for two (2) weeks! Talk about getting bummed out!

Status
Not open for further replies.