Icom IC-2100H

Status
Not open for further replies.

w4rez

Two things:

1. I have one of these that had been in storage for awhile. When I first plugged it up about a month ago, it worked fine. Now it's "on the fritz." I have a high pitched tone in my transmit audio and sometimes the transmit "sticks" for a couple of seconds after I unkey the mic. I don't think it's the mic itself because it does the same thing if I unplug the mic from the radio.

It's also worth nothing that if I turn off the radio for a bit, then turn it back on, the tone starts out relatively low then gets increasingly higher over the next couple of minutes.

Anybody else have any experience with this problem?

2. Why in the world are these things selling for so much eBay nowadays? I'm seeing these radios go for nearly $300 apiece. I know they're good, sturdy radios and all but dang. I'm pretty sure I paid less than $200 for mine new at a hamfest.

Last edited:

w4rez

I should've mentioned that I did that, as I know that seems to fix a lot of random problems with these radios. Unfortunately it didn't work.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Two things:

1. I have one of these that had been in storage for awhile. When I first plugged it up about a month ago, it worked fine. Now it's "on the fritz." I have a high pitched tone in my transmit audio and sometimes the transmit "sticks" for a couple of seconds after I unkey the mic. I don't think it's the mic itself because it does the same thing if I unplug the mic from the radio.

It's also worth nothing that if I turn off the radio for a bit, then turn it back on, the tone starts out relatively low then gets increasingly higher over the next couple of minutes.

Anybody else have any experience with this problem?

2. Why in the world are these things selling for so much eBay nowadays? I'm seeing these radios go for nearly $300 apiece. I know they're good, sturdy radios and all but dang. I'm pretty sure I paid less than $200 for mine new at a hamfest.

1. Check for loose screws on the main RF board, tighten all of them down, especially the ones that ground out. The 2000/2100's are known to have issues with this.

2. Because Ebay seems to attract mouth breathers. why these morons will spend upwards of $200 on a used, well out of warranty decade plus some old radio when a new radio, such as a Kenwood TM-281A, can be had for $137 and free shipping from many a ham dealers, is beyond me. But then, that's Paybay for ya. One mans' junk is what another sucker will pay in gold for.

w4rez

1. Check for loose screws on the main RF board, tighten all of them down, especially the ones that ground out. The 2000/2100's are known to have issues with this.

2. Because Ebay seems to attract mouth breathers. why these morons will spend upwards of $200 on a used, well out of warranty decade plus some old radio when a new radio, such as a Kenwood TM-281A, can be had for $137 and free shipping from many a ham dealers, is beyond me. But then, that's Paybay for ya. One mans' junk is what another sucker will pay in gold for.

Yeah I've been eyeing those Kenwoods. I may end up picking one up if I can't get this Icom figured out. How are they, for the price?

mrweather

I've had a 281A for a couple of years and have no complaints. Good solid, basic 2M radio.

w4rez

After fighting with this 2100 all doggone day, I'm half tempted to put it on eBay "as is" and using the proceeds to get one of those 781As.

Status
Not open for further replies.