Icom: ICOM ic-2730a Programming Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

K5DOC

Feed Provider
Recently purchased the ICOM ic-2730a from DXEngineering and a USB-29A cable from GigaParts RT Systems USB-29A

When the cable came in, I attempted programming via CHIRP as well as through the supplied CS-2730 software. Neither of which have worked. (Drivers supplied with cable have been installed)

CHIRP: "Failed to communicate with the radio: Out of sync with radio" or just fails to connect

CS-2730: "Cannot access COM [x]" - whichever com port the cable is attached to

What's the verdict? Bad cable, incorrect cable?

I have the cable connected to the radio before booting, connected to the speaker port closest to the center of the radio, then I boot the radio and open the software, before getting the error. Is there a setting or a procedure I missed?

Thanks!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

k6cpo

I've never been able to understand the philosophy behind programming an expensive radio with free open-source software and then complaining when it doesn't go as planned.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I have a 2730A, but I do most of my programming with RT Systems software, and the cable that's included with the software package. While I do use CHIRP for some minor functions, my major programming is done with the RT Systems software. The cable they provide is top quality and works with CHIRP and the Icom software as well.

k6cpo

I have a 2730A, but I do most of my programming with RT Systems software, and the cable that's included with the software package. While I do use CHIRP for some minor functions, my major programming is done with the RT Systems software. The cable they provide is top quality and works with CHIRP and the Icom software as well.

I don't use anything but RT Systems to program my radios. I did use Chirp to program a Baofeng I received as a raffle prize at a club meeting but I gave it away after it sat unused on a shelf for five years.

K5DOC

Feed Provider
did the OP ever get this to work?

thinking about getting this radio
Yes! Worked great, problem was with the cable I used - Get the good one from RTSystems and itll work PERFECTLY with CHIRP, Don't listen to the naysayers above - CHIRP is a fantastic piece of software and works as well if not better than most of the commercially available softwares that come with the radios

k6cpo

Yes! Worked great, problem was with the cable I used - Get the good one from RTSystems and itll work PERFECTLY with CHIRP, Don't listen to the naysayers above - CHIRP is a fantastic piece of software and works as well if not better than most of the commercially available softwares that come with the radios

I've read way too many reports of people bricking their radios using Chirp. And I've used Chirp and found it didn't have half the features of the RT Systems software for the same radio. The only real attraction CHIRP has is it's free.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
This radio uses a speaker out jack as a programming connection?? I would expect that from one of these no-name wonders.
Absolutely nothing in the owners manual about that. :rolleyes:

Of course what should I expect from a company that wants $55 extra for a adapter bracket to mount the control panel directly to the radio. Guess I'll rule out Icom and especially this almost 10 year old designed radio.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
AFA using Chirp, yes I mostly agree about staying away from that, BUT, why doesn't Icom offer their software?? Unless Icom has some software hidden on their website other than that cloning software.
Not everyone wants to fork out another $50 (on top of that adapter plate). And that doesn't even include the mounting adapter.

k6cpo

AFA using Chirp, yes I mostly agree about staying away from that, BUT, why doesn't Icom offer their software?? Unless Icom has some software hidden on their website other than that cloning software.
Not everyone wants to fork out another $50 (on top of that adapter plate). And that doesn't even include the mounting adapter.
It's readily apparent that the radio manufacturers don't put a lot of effort into their software. After all, they're offering it for free. I think it's there just to provide an incentive for someone to buy their radio. I'd much rather pay a premium for something that I know will work the first time I use it and will continue to work over the life of the radio.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
But they don't mind charging for something that should be included with the radio. :mad:
Great way to kill sales, no wonder why 2 meter & 440 have been dying.

k6cpo

But they don't mind charging for something that should be included with the radio. :mad:
Great way to kill sales, no wonder why 2 meter & 440 have been dying.
Companies like RT Systems are stepping in and providing a product for which there is a need. For the longest time, there was no way to program a radio except by hand. Even now, I have at least four handhelds that are like that. There is no software available for them, from either the manufacturers or outside sources. Hand programming is a skill that is being lost because people are becoming more and more reliant on computers and software. Yeah, I agree it's easier when you have a lot of stuff to load and I use it extensively, but I also take the time to learn how to hand program, especially radios I take into the field.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Companies like RT Systems are stepping in and providing a product for which there is a need. For the longest time, there was no way to program a radio except by hand. Even now, I have at least four handhelds that are like that. There is no software available for them, from either the manufacturers or outside sources. Hand programming is a skill that is being lost because people are becoming more and more reliant on computers and software. Yeah, I agree it's easier when you have a lot of stuff to load and I use it extensively, but I also take the time to learn how to hand program, especially radios I take into the field.
Agreed---to a point.
Back in the days when radios were analog only, had 16 channels and no alphanumeric display, hand programming was a snap. But that train las left the station a long time ago.

I can manually program all of my radios (sometimes with the help of cheat sheets because some functions are many layers deep in menus). Radio manufacturers and their engineers aren't doing us any favors by designing equipment that relies heavily on a non-intuitive menu tree or multi-function buttons.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
I recall when a Yaesu USA employee was asked about better and more intuitive software. His response was 'we build radios, not software'.
RT Systems makes a complicated series of menus/sub-menus easy to program and use.

The other practical option is to buy old gear and use it exclusively.

Hand programming a radio when travelling to another state/region isn't practical for most people.

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
Icom does. The CS-2730 software is available for free on their website. I know it kind of takes the fun out of complaining...

There's nothing wrong with CHIRP. I've used the CS-2730 software and CHIPR to program my IC-2730a. CHIRP wins are it works better with more of my radios. I don't understand the hate for a piece of open-source software that is well-supported by the developers. IMO it's just too much for some to learn. Kind of like trying to teach my father-in-law how to use a tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.