Icom: ICOM IC-2800H Interconnect cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbo14

Premium Subscriber
I have recently come in to possession of an ICOM IC-2800H radio and control head, minus the interconnect cable that goes between the two.

Do any of you have one of these radios? I am in need of information as to whether I can simply use an 8 pin ethernet cable? Or if one of the plugs needs to be reversed?

I have a service manual and it appears from the schematic that it is simply pin-to-pin; nothing special.

But before I make a bonfire out of my rig, I would like to get some info from someone who has the cable and can confirm it's wiring.

Thanks for reading. 73

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
OPC 872 cable.
Try PACPARTS.com

You will want an OPC-440 cable, if you want to connect the microphone directly to the Main unit.

IF you use the ICOM programming freeware, you will need a separate programming cable:

There are two different ICOM cables for programming the radio.
OPC-478 connects to a DB9 connector on the computer.
OPC-478-UC connects to a USB connector on the computer.

RTSystems has a proprietary programming cable that comes with their programming software.

I think the control head is AMPS compatible.
Try RamMounts.com for a mounting plate for the control head.

bbo14

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your reply. Good info there.

What I really need to know though is if the cable is simply an 8 pin, RJ-45 terminated, straight pin-to-pin cable or whether there is some other arrangement. Studying the schematic, I think it's pin-to-pin (1 to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3, and so on). I was just looking to see if anyone had the cable and could verify it is that simple, or if there was a different wiring scheme.

I looked at PACPARTS website, (I remember them from my employment with a Kenwood two way dealer). It doesn't show anything for ICOM. I'll call them tomorrow though to confirm.

I already have an OPC-478 programming cable, as I use it to program my older ICOM two way radios so that's already taken care of.

When you say AMPS compatible, what exactly do you mean? Is that the AMPS physical mount plate? Or are you referring to something else?

Thanks for the info. Hope you can elaborate further.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
AMPS is a common standard for physical mount plates.
AMPS is NOT a manufacturer exclusive, proprietary standard, for mounting plates.

AMPS allows interfacing mounting hardware to different manufacturer's remote head holders.
Look at RAM® Rectangular Plate Adapter for Swing Arm Mounts
Remote head holders can easily be attached using one of the several different patterns of holes within the matrix of holes in the flat plate.
One basic universal plate can be fitted to several different manufacturers remote head holders, using on of the different bolt hole patterns.

There are two types: 2hole and 4 hole, and several different geometries : 2x6 inch, 3x5, etc

bbo14

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the clarification re: AMPS. So, I solved the cable pinout issue. It is 1 to 1, 2 to 2 and so on thru pin 6. So I get it all done only to find out it doesn't work. The HV line shows 13.8 v at the power in point and to the reverse polarity diode. at the pin on the 6 pin connector going to the control head, it is 4 vdc. Wonderful. Now I need to find out where it is being loaded down. Back to the service manual and the DVM. Film at eleven.

bbo14

Premium Subscriber
Faulty component found. R297 on main board. Open. Lovely. SMT resistor, only 3mm long. Get out the magnified lamp and tweezers. Then find a replacement. It's mainly used as a fuse, as it's only 1 ohm, 1/8 watt. 12 volts on one side, nothing going to the control head to turn anything on. Wish I had the eyesite I had at 21 years of age, ha ha. Wish me luck guys. Thanks to all who responded.

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
These radios were very nice but had a heat issue in the control head where when powering up the display would take longer and longer to... display. I don't recall the fix off the top of my head. Just a FYI

bbo14

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you are correct. I have heard various causes of this, from bad IC in the head, to bad electrolytic(s) in the head, notably C54. I have a replacement head. I hope I can get this working soon. I am not too good yet at desoldering SMT components. Right now, it is on it's back on my bench, under anesthesia and waiting surgery. Thanks for your observations 73

bbo14

Premium Subscriber
Final update: Success removing the SMT 1 ohm, 1/8 watt resistor and replacing it. Radio now works. Persistance, mesmerism and just plain cussedness paid off. Thanks to all who plowed thru all my posts, rants and pats on the back. 73, Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.