ICOM IC-7000 Discontinued!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I just got off the phone with HRO in New Hampshire! Icom has discontinued the IC-7000! HRO was anticipating this so they bought a boat load of them, but once they are gone, thats it for this transceiver. I already own one but I figured I would pass this on in case anyone was on the fence about getting one!

Manny

AC8PT

I have one, purchased instead of a Yaesu 897d and am pleased with it. It isn't perfect, but what radio is. Excellent choice for a "do everything" type of radio.

I suspect HRO will sell them quickly.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Sheesh. I guess Icom's marketing people want you to buy the IC-7100 instead. The goofy layout of the control head (in my opinion) and the touch screen (in my opinion) make the 7100 a less than ideal replacement for the 7000.

I did a quick check of the on-line dealers I patronize. HRO, AES, and R&L still have stock of the 7000. GigaParts is sold out.

w2txb

HRO was smart to buy up a bunch of them for resale because it is still a very well respected radio that can do well at home, on the road, and even portable. I had one that I only used at home, and it was fantastic. The only upgrade was the Bob Nagy microphone mod.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I Don't Get It!

Sheesh. I guess Icom's marketing people want you to buy the IC-7100 instead. The goofy layout of the control head (in my opinion) and the touch screen (in my opinion) make the 7100 a less than ideal replacement for the 7000.

I did a quick check of the on-line dealers I patronize. HRO, AES, and R&L still have stock of the 7000. GigaParts is sold out.

I agree with you! I'm still scratching my head over this one! Not everyone wants a touch screen, a separate control head, D-Star or the built in radioteletype decoder. I can't see why they both can't continue to run side by side, with the 7100 acting as an upgrade to those who want the additional bells and whistles. The 7000 is great for on the go use as wel as being right at home on a desk. I don't see that in the 7100!

Manny

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
This information was posted in the ICOM 7000 Yahoo group several days back. I agree that this doesn't seem rational either but this also suggest perhaps ICOM will be replacing it with an upgraded model...

ICOM7000MK2 anyone?

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
I agree with you! I'm still scratching my head over this one! Not everyone wants a touch screen, a separate control head, D-Star or the built in radioteletype decoder. I can't see why they both can't continue to run side by side, with the 7100 acting as an upgrade to those who want the additional bells and whistles. The 7000 is great for on the go use as wel as being right at home on a desk. I don't see that in the 7100!

Manny

Ditto and ditto !

N2PYS

Premium Subscriber
I bought my 7000

Last year with a screwdriver antenna and a 2 year warranty I paid less than $1,500 bucks for everything including a frequency tuner and dual whips for the antenna, mounting brackets and a total turnkey operation for adding to my "Rolling Radio", a Special edition Amy Systems wheelchair with among other things a third Group 24 Battery in the battery box ,so i don't use any mobility power playing on my radio,Isn't technology great , i will also be adding a quad band Yaesu FT 8900 to the chair for total spark to space use.

wa1bsb

I agree Joe WB6ACU ur right the digital world is upon us and it sux rather have a old 706 M2G then some of this crap that's out now. Im in the market for a new rig and its driving me nuts I dunno what to get Im not into D star so the 7100 is out guess Ill just look for a used 706 or 7000 aaaarrrrrgggg.

prcguy

I know many people who "upgraded" from a 706MKIIG to a 7000 and they all want their 706s back because its a better radio. The 7000 has DSP IF and variable BW but its not implemented very well and the end receiver performance is way down from the 706 series. Not to mention other problems where the 7000 shuts down when the voltage gets a little low where other radios operate just fine.

I say let it die and hopefully Icom comes out with another workhorse radio like the 706 series but without some of the BS and expensive features many people don't want in an HF rig like DSTAR.
prcguy

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

Thanks. I saw that on Universal Radio's site. Not a lot of info on it yet, but from what I can tell, they're going down the same road as Icom, with the touch-screen, etc. More money, more things to go wrong, more expensive to repair.

I liked the old school HF rigs that were bigger than a bread box, and you could read everything on the panel, meters, and dials, without the need for a magnifying glass! They kept your radio room warm in the winter too! :)

KG4NEL

I don't mind touch screens on my phones, where I'll be expecting to replace them in 3-4 years at the most anyway; but the life cycle of an HF rig is often many times that. I don't like it as a design choice.

With a couple exceptions, new product development for HF rigs by the Big Three seems painfully stagnant...

Status
Not open for further replies.