Icom IC-7300 vs Yaesu FT-991 was: Antennas for a one story rental unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9DWB

QRT
[antenna stuff left to its own thread]

And one more related: Yaesu FT-991A vs Icom 7300. No spec comparisons needed. Simply state which of the 2 you'd tell me to consider for the QTH in the making and a brief answer to why you'd vote for it. Thanks.

PS Moderators if you permit, may we allow this thread to remain open until I resolve what to do at soon to be QTH? Unless some rule requires it to be closed up for some reason that is. Appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
I’m an Icom fan (have a 7100) but the obvious difference between an IC-7300 and the Yaesu FT-991A is that the Yaesu has more bands & modes than the 7300. It adds 2M & 70cm, with FM and all the other modes used on those bands. So from a bands & modes standpoint you are comparing apples to oranges.

K9DWB

QRT
OK thanks and I understand apple to orange comparison. They are similar in price and in relative popularity IMO. I may well stick with my 991A choice, but thought there'd be reason of some sort for an either/or in my scenario other than outright specs.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
... and you may see someone post here with statements like, "The 7300 is a far superior receiver and worth the price", and "You don't need 2M and 70cm in the same radio... it's a single point of failure", "Pay the extra money and get the better radio (ICOM)". I'll let you evaluate those statements.... but wanted to put them out here because I've seen them all before. From my perspective, I look for built-in USB sound card / modem capabilities (both have them), and also the VHF / UHF multi band / multimode capability. The spectrum display is not that useful to me (both have it) since I mainly run digital modes that have their own spectrum display on the computer. And that is why I'm fine with the (less costly) IC-7100 which has been a workhorse for me for more than five years now without a "single point of failure" event that everyone seems to warn about.

K9DWB

QRT
@popnokick A sincere thanks for the post on 991A VS 7300. I'd thought them very much identical as you state here. Now maybe I like bling and flash more, and probably too much at times. That Icom 7100 was one of the original ham radios I'd researched some. I have some interest in it, and nothing I've learned makes me not want to consider it really. First thought was "hmm an interesting looking radio, decent specs, wonder how that would look mounted in the car?". That should really be the radio to compare against the 991A I think now. It's smaller footprint and lower price may be the ticket actually. And MAYBE I'd get it much cheaper than even someone else's used 991A. It's my "base" for now and later it's my mobile scenario actually makes very good sense.

Last edited:

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I come from the SSB voice crowd and don't do that much digital. I have three 7100s in remote service and they are fantastic for that and the performance of these radios is much better than I expected and always surprises me. However, the 7300 is a much nicer experience on HF for me, its got a wonderfully quiet receiver with very good performance and a bit better than the 7100. It also has a built in antenna tuner that will fix a lot of problems but it doesn't have a very wide tuning range. There is no tuner in the 7100 and the best thing you can do there is get an LDG IT-100 which is plug and play for any Icom rig at a cost around $170.

I constantly use the spectral display on my 7610 and 9700 and also on my 7300 but the 7300 has been banished to the travel trailer and I only use it now and then on camping trips. Not because there is anything wrong with it, I just have too many of these things and not enough time to give attention to each one. Otherwise I love spectral displays.

For base station use the 7100 control head is very small and you can hide the rest of the radio 15ft away leaving a very small footprint on your desk if your are space limited. There are a lot of good things to say about the 7100 and 7300 and it just depends on what you need, an HF/VHF/UHF shack in the box with good performance or an HF only radio with great performance and an excellent human interface with a color display you can never get tired of.

... and you may see someone post here with statements like, "The 7300 is a far superior receiver and worth the price", and "You don't need 2M and 70cm in the same radio... it's a single point of failure", "Pay the extra money and get the better radio (ICOM)". I'll let you evaluate those statements.... but wanted to put them out here because I've seen them all before. From my perspective, I look for built-in USB sound card / modem capabilities (both have them), and also the VHF / UHF multi band / multimode capability. The spectrum display is not that useful to me (both have it) since I mainly run digital modes that have their own spectrum display on the computer. And that is why I'm fine with the (less costly) IC-7100 which has been a workhorse for me for more than five years now without a "single point of failure" event that everyone seems to warn about.

K9DWB

QRT
@prcguy, thanks once again. My opinion too matches some to all things I envision for myself and radio. You're pretty good at this. Oh BTW maybe due to not having tasted the digital stuff applicable, I the OP also tend to not care one way or another on it. Digital anything pro or con is not expected to sell a radio to me. Could that change? Sure, but right now it hasn't. This is my thinking as I've yet to experience or do most anything radio let alone base HF. I group all 3 of these radios mentioned in these latter posts as all legitimate prospects for my ham shack, the 991A, 7100, and 7300. No particular order or meaning to be inferred on that ordering. (At least I didn't think so at first glance. But read on and I think subconsciously it in fact does mean the order of preference...added in just before posting and after typing.)

The 991A vs 7300 for the visuals, the waterfall and such. Mostly equal discounting band access and such. Transmit power is the same I think, and so on. 991A packs more bands and probably other capabilities like all-mode (I think) into a smaller package vs 7300. Also a slight plus is I think 991A is slightly smaller physically, but not enough to sway decision either way, just noted that bit of info is all this means. I think the display on the 7300 is a bit bigger and better in images and YouTube that I've seen, especially an Eric KJ4YZI Ham Radio Concepts and 991A vs 7300 YouTube video review. I've not seen any of these 3 in person though, or operated obviously. Sez me 991A "wins" as I say the added bands are important.

991A vs 7100, bands are equal or nearly so, 7100 is remote head, can play mobile role a lot better, cheaper, more compact, but without the display aspect. 991A wins due to again the larger display including waterfall the 7100 lacks. I think differences between these 2 is physical, display and the actual unit and possibly that only. 991A wins if it's to be a base first always only. Yes I entertained daydreaming of a 991A mounted in the car. Doable but practicable or makes sense? NO not really, but that hasn't stopped me from doing what I felt like before. And that right there is why it is POSSIBLE that a 991A may be bought to be a "mobile". Yeah OK maybe in Dave's world...me.

Further 991A base or shockingly a mobile, 7100 mobile but for me it's not a base, but it plays that role if I changed my mind.

On none of these 3 can I have an opinion or favorite regarding how it receives or transmits and how it sounds in doing so. Ditto for the "operating" experience. With no way for me to grade this aspect, all have to be given equal consideration on this area alone. I think the 7100 may lose some points due to smaller display, not due to color lack. Even so it ranks more or less equal with both the others still.

That seems to be my story and I'll stick with it until I change my mind on some or all the above. Which will happen sometime and for a certain timeframe. Given further delayed purchases, it'll probably revert back to this more or less verbatim.

In some ways the 991A is my overall winner, but each of the 7300 and 7100 could eventually win in the end. Availability and cost could send any irrespectful of any like or dislike of any attribute. I tend to have a list of radio, antenna, etc. and say OK it's time to buy. Look at price and availability then click the BUY button. Flip the coin and any of these 3 may "win" just due to that. Going with my gut, 991A is overall ahead somewhat, 7100 is physically more versatile in base or mobile better than the others, 7300 probably is the first one to lose though. No real negatives, no dislike for Icom, none of that at all. It's about the same price as a 991A, but has less bands to whet my interest is what comes first.

Dunno, but that seems to be the top o the head thoughts for me on my consideration. Blatant not mention any real specs, so noted as intentional for some unknown reason. Maybe because I perceive them all to be more or less on equal footing in that aspect. Sure I could be incredibly wrong. OK well that is NOT a first. And better retort is "SO?"

Oh no, I just hope I didn't build a case where I buy all 3 and stifle the conflict. No trust me only one of the 3 will be bought as the first. One of the others? Yeah maybe later.

Last edited:

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Transceiver
When looking between the receivers, keep in mind the price of other things that you will need to make them completely apples to apples in capability.

All of your options require a power supply, 30A minimum, might not be a bad idea to grab a 50A if you can find one. Also, you will need another antenna, feedline and polyphaser to get on 2m/70cm no matter if you get an all in one or separate transceivers. You would use the same ground rod.

7300 - Has internal tuner and internal sound card. Can do full rig control, CW keying, digital transmission and audio decoding (digital and CW) with 1 usb connection. Consider adding another transceiver for 2m/70cm. Is an SDR type transceiver.
***Total purchase would be 7300 + HF Antenna + 2m/70cm +2m/70cm Antenna

991A - Has internal tuner, but I believe you need an external sound card for digital transmission and audio decoding. Will need a winkeyer for CW transmission. Includes 2m/70cm, needs additional feedline/antenna. Is a triple conversion super heterodyne (double for FM) type transceiver. Does C4M digital on FM.
***Total purchase would be 991A + Soundcard + HF Antenna + 2m/70cm Antenna

7100 - No internal tuner, recommend adding an external tuner, keep in mind the power ratings of any tuner you get. Can do full rig control, CW keying, digital transmission and audio decoding (digital and CW) with 1 usb connection. Includes 2m/70cm, needs additional feedline/antenna. I believe it is an SDR type transceiver. Does D-Star digital on FM.
***Total purchase would be 7100 + Tuner + HF Antenna + 2m/70cm Antenna

Yes, when adding all the little pieces, it starts adding up quickly.

Why are rig control (CAT control) and digital modes important? First, having your rig connected to your computer greatly helps with overall logging of your use and contacts, both casual and during contests. This can help log your frequency and other important information. Also, in the case of 7100 & 7300, it also allows you to do CW via computer generation, which helps reduce/eliminate errors (many CW contesters still use computer CW during contests, even if they could do it via key). Secondly, the sound card integration, which is required for transmission of digital modes and decoding of all types of modes, including CW. Since you will likely be using a compromise antenna, using a weak signal mode may be ideal to you. These sound cards can also let you record your conversations/contacts, or do WSPR reporting. IMO, having CAT control and a sound card on HF is a requirement (internal or external), so don't overlook it.

The real question becomes, do you need base station 2m/70cm, or can you get away with HT action for those bands. Two reasons:
1) You need separation from the two antennas.
2) Look at repeaterbook.com, see what repeaters are nearby and what modes they include. That may direct you opinion on 2m/70cm as far as use and modes.

I hope this helps answer many of your questions and gives you a few things to research. I recommend starting a spread sheet with prices/part numbers and descriptions for every single piece and part you will need to put this together.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I should also add, the 7100 locates 6m (50MHz) on the VHF/UHF antenna port, while the others have 6m on the HF port. That can add some more complexity if it's a band you want to operate (your planned EFHW won't). But it's something to keep in mind.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
At this point I might recommend looking at it like a 7100 or 991A will be the complete station, It will be very small in size with good performance. If you go with the 7300 its a building block and you will later get a 2m/70cm rig to complete the station. That will potentially give you a better performing station in the end and you will have more options for VHF/UHF like maybe DMR or you could go Fusion with a Yaesu or D-star with an Icom or a model with SSB if you have any 2m or 432 activity in your area. The choices become wider because if you get a 991A and the digital in your area is mostly DMR, or if you get the 7100 and it turns out Fusion is big in your hood you might be sad and we don't want that!

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Many of the EFHWs work ok on 6m with a reasonable match. The ferrite cores get a little more lossy and the antenna will have a million lobes but you can make contacts, or at least I have. If 6m is in heavy use in the area then a dedicated 6m antenna would be on the list.

I should also add, the 7100 locates 6m (50MHz) on the VHF/UHF antenna port, while the others have 6m on the HF port. That can add some more complexity if it's a band you want to operate (your planned EFHW won't). But it's something to keep in mind.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
At this point I might recommend looking at it like a 7100 or 991A will be the complete station, It will be very small in size with good performance. If you go with the 7300 its a building block and you will later get a 2m/70cm rig to complete the station. That will potentially give you a better performing station in the end and you will have more options for VHF/UHF like maybe DMR or you could go Fusion with a Yaesu or D-star with an Icom or a model with SSB if you have any 2m or 432 activity in your area. The choices become wider because if you get a 991A and the digital in your area is mostly DMR, or if you get the 7100 and it turns out Fusion is big in your hood you might be sad and we don't want that!

Looking at Franklin County PA, there isn't much in terms of repeaters at all:
1608310883023.png
DMR and analog, all in Chambersburg (10 miles as the crow flies). If you wanted to go DMR, you could also get an HT and hotspot, as I know PA can have bad reception due to elevation changes. 2m/70cm is a line of site service, and if you have a mountain between you and the repeater, you won't hear it and it won't hear you.

EDIT, you are near Washington County MD:
1608311150315.png
Hagerstown is the same approximate 10 miles, same set of issues, but MD has C4M (Yaesu System Fusion) which is Yaesu exclusive. Clearspring appears to be 14-18 miles away.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I'm an Icom fan.. I like the menu layouts and the general physical appearance of the radios. I currently have an IC-7600 in the house and an IC-7000 for mobile. I don't own a 7300, but there are five people I know with the radio and they're all generally pleased with the performance.

One thing about the 991 is that it does SSB and CW on the VHF/UHF bands. That can be fun. (I use a Kenwood TS-2000 for these modes).

We have a local SSB group that meets on 144 and 432. We have people check in to our chat sessions from hundreds of miles away. We've even been playing with digital modes. In the summer, you can go even farther using tropo propagation. SSB & CW are far superior to FM when it comes to weak signal work. The only downside is that you need to use horizontal antennas with some gain. Yagi antennas are popular.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I think Icom is the powerhouse of amateur radio these days and it wasn't always like that. In the 80s a few high end Icom models were very good, otherwise it seemed Kenwood tied up most of the HF/VHF/UHF amateur market. Yaesu was in there but behind Kenwood. Then there was a time where you couldn't give me an Icom handheld, they had a lot of failures and goofy features and I didn't want to pay the premium price for one of their HF rigs.

Then Yaesu started letting the customer be the beta tester and for many years everything I bought from Yaesu broke or had some quirk up through the FT-857 and FT-897 and then I boycotted Yaesu for awhile. Lately it seems Kenwood releases a new radio every 10yrs and its like they don't have an engineering or marketing department any more.

Now Icom can do no wrong and everything I've bought in the last few years has mostly been Icom and each radio has been stellar in performance and reliability. I think the IC-7300 is the best selling amateur radio of all time and for good reason.

I'm an Icom fan.. I like the menu layouts and the general physical appearance of the radios. I currently have an IC-7600 in the house and an IC-7000 for mobile. I don't own a 7300, but there are five people I know with the radio and they're all generally pleased with the performance.

One thing about the 991 is that it does SSB and CW on the VHF/UHF bands. That can be fun. (I use a Kenwood TS-2000 for these modes).

We have a local SSB group that meets on 144 and 432. We have people check in to our chat sessions from hundreds of miles away. We've even been playing with digital modes. In the summer, you can go even farther using tropo propagation. SSB & CW are far superior to FM when it comes to weak signal work. The only downside is that you need to use horizontal antennas with some gain. Yagi antennas are popular.

KD2FIQ

I have all three radios discussed. The 991 would be the bottom of my list. I started off with Yaesu but have now switched to ICOM as my preferred radio. The 7300 is terrific. Great bargain. I use my 7100 in many environments (mobile, camping, in the shack, sitting in front of the wood stove using a long extension cable).

After using both Yaesu and ICOM, I much prefer the ICOM interfaces and menus.

fasteddy64

Of the two radios mentioned I would go with the 991A. I use SSB on 2 and 432 a lot so that seals the deal for me.
I tried the 991 and liked it fine.
I tried the 7100 and liked it better.
So my current rigs are an Icom 9100 at home.
In my RV shack where I currently live full time I have an Icom 7100 and an Icom 9700.
The 9700 is my satellite rig, it does a good job there but believe it or not I find myself missing the Kenwood TS-200 it replaced. I was just familiar and comfortable with that radio. I dont use the waterfall/scope function on the 9700, I actually just leave it turned off.
We all have preferences for whatever reasons. Thats why there are some many different rigs on the market.

Ed
KG5UN

sigxbill

There is no tuner in the 7100 and the best thing you can do there is get an LDG IT-100 which is plug and play for any Icom rig at a cost around $170.

The LDG IT-200 is actually a better choice for the IC-7100. The IT-100 only handles 50w digital, and if ever you want to try D-Star on HF at 100 watts, you risk burning out the IT-100 ...

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I agree that you have to be careful with the power ratings of LDG tuners and pay attention to the "digital" power rating if that's your intended operating mode.

However, the LDG IT-100 has been discontinued. I don't think there ever was an IT-200 tuner. You may be referring to the AT-200 which is now at the ProII revision level.

Status
Not open for further replies.