• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom IC-F221 / 121S programming cable ques

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saph

I bought a programming cable of of Ebay that the store front claimed woud work with my F221.
When I received it , the cable had a RS232 connector to hook into the computer,
I programmed my F221 about two months ago with a friends programming cable that was borrowed at the time, and the borrowed cable had the regular parallel port (DB 25) style to hook to the computer and it did a fine job programming the F221.
Do I need to return this Ebay bought cable with the RS 232 connector? or do I need to get some software that will switch selection of my outgoing ports.
Does anybody have a reputable place to buy a programming cable for my F221 cause I believe I been taken for a ride on this RS 232 connector cable.
I am also looking for a second F221 .

kd7gxu

Premium Subscriber
check the settings

I bought a programming cable of of Ebay that the store front claimed woud work with my F221.
When I received it , the cable had a RS232 connector to hook into the computer,
I programmed my F221 about two months ago with a friends programming cable that was borrowed at the time, and the borrowed cable had the regular parallel port (DB 25) style to hook to the computer and it did a fine job programming the F221.
Do I need to return this Ebay bought cable with the RS 232 connector? or do I need to get some software that will switch selection of my outgoing ports.
Does anybody have a reputable place to buy a programming cable for my F221 cause I believe I been taken for a ride on this RS 232 connector cable.
I am also looking for a second F221 .

25 pin is a serial cable, it would need a 25 pin to 9 pin adapter to be used on most computers. Also if your software is DOS based then you have to use a real serial port, COM1 COM2 etc, as the USB to serial adapters usually doesn't work with that software. The cable that I have for that radio is a DB9 serial to a headphone jack then is adapted to a RJ45 plug for the radio. My software is DOS based but it works good.

Saph

To : Kd7gxu From : Saph

Thankyou for making that distinction that the 25 pin is a serial port and not a parrallel port.
It is nice to be able to explain my mismatch cable with the correct terminology.
After reading your information , It sounds as though I need a 25 pin to 9 pin adapter
in essence a DB25 to RS232 adapter to get this cable in the ballpark of com 1, com 2 etc.....
for data communications in the DOS operating enviroment.
With your headphone jack style cable , how are you able to communicate using the 9 pin port on your computer
with the DOS operating system ?

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Moved to the Commercial ICOM Forum. Please make note of all forums and their descriptions before deciding where to create a thread. Thanks.

kd7gxu

Premium Subscriber
Db9

Thankyou for making that distinction that the 25 pin is a serial port and not a parrallel port.
It is nice to be able to explain my mismatch cable with the correct terminology.
After reading your information , It sounds as though I need a 25 pin to 9 pin adapter
in essence a DB25 to RS232 adapter to get this cable in the ballpark of com 1, com 2 etc.....
for data communications in the DOS operating enviroment.
With your headphone jack style cable , how are you able to communicate using the 9 pin port on your computer
with the DOS operating system ?

The software I have is new enough to run in a window of windows XP. It runs in a non gui DOS style window though. Actually both 25 pin and 9 pin are RS232 the 9 pin is called DB9. They should still have the adapter at "the shack" if you can find a store that has more than cell phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.