• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom IC-F410 programming from DOS & USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomtomhoward

Hi,

I am struggling with programming a pair of Icom IC-F410, which I think use the CS-F300 software and program from DOS.
Due to the age I'm having to run the program in a virtual machine (XP Pro on VirtualBox), which again is running this program in DOS.
Are there any particular settings the USB cable need in Device Manager to be compatible with DOS?

I've got a OPC-592 USB cable. I've used this same VirtualBox setup to program some IC-F4002, a IC-F210S and even managed to program some IC-F3 in DOS but just cannot get the DOS program to communicate with the IC-F410 for the life of me. The COM port opens but the radio doesn't respond.

zrock

Some radios are just fussy that way. If they originally were programmed with a serial cable you may never get it to see the USB. That's why good shops always have a old computer hiding in the back.. I have a few I gave up on

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

tomtomhoward

You wouldn't believe it, but although I can't get it running under a Windows XP virtual machine in a OSX environment, installing the shaky Serial-USB drives for OSX 10.14 and running it in a DOS emulator directly from a modern version of OSX actually programmed the thing.

It wasn't helped by the fact the radios had Inhibit Read set, but it is helpful that the IC-F300 software distinguishes between a few different error codes between not being able to open the serial port and the transceiver not responding, which helps.

Screenshot 2019-04-23 at 13.18.28.png

andrewsorama

Premium Subscriber
im having the same problem. I've installed Dosbox and got the software up and running. when I clone the radio, it says no cable. I have tried both com ports, and no luck. which driver did you use for Mac OS?

tomtomhoward

From here

Mine at the time was version 1.6.1 dated 10182017 looking at my downloads folder but I haven't got the PKG file any more I can see, but 1.6.2 is on there
I was helped by the bottom bar (where it says Cloning Complete), saying a different error for no cable and no response from radio, forget trying to program the radio at first and get it to give the "radio no found error"

I had to edit the Dosbox conf file in /LIbrary/Preferences as well, to include the following:

serial1=directserial realport:tty.usbserial
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

I was going to write up how I found the tty.usbserial name but it was basically Method 1 here:

Status
Not open for further replies.