• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ICOM IC-F5021 Programming Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jghqaltga5926

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for the help. I'm trying to program some F5021 for my local FD. I purchased the CS-3020/F5010/F5020 V3.2 (but also have access to 3.4) software and am using a USB cable. I'm operating on Window 7 system. When I try to program the radio is says "no answer from transceiver."

I've gotten mixed messages searching through forums but nothing seems to be the answer to my problem. The cable is the same cable I use to program CDM1250 so I don't believe that's the issue.The com port that is selected (the one used) is the only one to give me the no answer error. When another port is selected I get another message.

When I do the P0 P3 trick it says 3.1 on radio. Does this mean that I need to try to find a V3.1 software to program these radios?

Name plate on bottom reads:
IC-F5021
FCC ID: ADJ317900
IC: 202D-317900

Any and all information is greatly appreciated

jghqaltga5926

Premium Subscriber
So I have to spend another $90 on the cable? I may be wrong but I could have sworn I saw people on here program the same radio with the same cable as for the CDM1225.

If I get the correct cable what about the version issue. Is CS-F3020/F5010/F5020 the correct software and can I use 3.2 (or 3.4), even though the radio shows 3.1 when pressing P0 and P3?

clbsquared

Unless someone homebrewed a cable with an old CDM1250 cable the Waris series cables will not work on an Icom radio. Using an newer version software will be fine. General rule of thumb for most CPS is, the newer versions are backwards compatible. You can use new to program old, but you cannot use old to program new.

jghqaltga5926

Premium Subscriber
I didn't think so, but then again I'm having a problem. Currently I have a Zerone 8 in 1 Motorola/Icom programming cable (purchased from Amazon), that I just to program the other radios we have. Will this work with the F5021?

If it's not the cable, any idea what other issues may be with the "no answer from transceiver" message?

clbsquared

I think what MTS is saying is, there are plenty of places that make that specific cable as an aftermarket accessory. You don’t have to buy the OEM Icom cable.
But, if you’re convinced that your $20.00 Amazon 8 in 1 cable will work, then you likely have a driver issue.

12dbsinad

Personally, I'd just stick with the OEM cable. You can get them online for less than 90 dollars. I've seen to many junk cheap aftermarket cables that have issues. You'll have 90 dollars in just hassle if it doesn't work.

jghqaltga5926

Premium Subscriber
I went ahead and ordered a cable just to make sure. It’ll arrive Saturday so hopefully I’ll know more by then.

jghqaltga5926

Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to check in with everyone and say thanks for everyone's help. The cable arrived today and worked like a charm! I apologize for every doubting you clb

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
FWIW never had any issues with the Blue Max cables, shipped from the US. I normally recommend OEM cables for high dollar radios like MSI APX stuff, but Icom radios aren't known for blowing up due to codeplug issues and being that radios like the 5021/6021s are sub hundred buck radios on the used market, spending $90 for a cable is overkill.

Status
Not open for further replies.