• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom IC-F6061 IDAS Encryption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASAD

Could somebody please confirm if Icom IC-F6061D and IC-F4161D (IDAS radios) have built-in digital encryption? Looking at the CS-F3160/F5060, looks like there's build-in basic encryption. Please see snapshots below. However, it's written nowhere in the specs. I called Icom Tech Support the other day to find this out but I was told there's no digital encryption in IDAS radios. I doubt that.

Attachments

• icom.jpg
    icom.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,176
Last edited:

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I have the F4161DT and it certainly supports encryption. I use it. Not sure why you received that response from Icom.

stevelton

The problem here is with the word "encryption". Icom says that in NXDN mode, it is a digital voice scrambler, with about 32,000 possible keys.
That's not "technically" encryption, but everyone calls it that, so among users and dealers, we just consider it good enough encryption ;)

But yes, it does support that.
In the digital folder on that Encryption page, on line 1 enter whatever code key you want to use.
Then on the Channel page, for that digital channel, turn the Scrambler/ Encryption ON, and the Encryption Key List No. select the code you entered before. Write it to the radio and you are in business.
Now when you are on that channel, you should see an icon that looks like an oval with 2 arrows on the lines (*I think) or something like it.

Of course, on analog channels, you only have the built in option of Voice Inversion, which in this day really does no good for any kind of security, so I wouldnt even bother...

Steven

rapidcharger

The problem here is with the word "encryption". Icom says that in NXDN mode, it is a digital voice scrambler, with about 32,000 possible keys.
That's not "technically" encryption, but everyone calls it that, so among users and dealers, we just consider it good enough encryption ;)

But yes, it does support that.
In the digital folder on that Encryption page, on line 1 enter whatever code key you want to use.
Then on the Channel page, for that digital channel, turn the Scrambler/ Encryption ON, and the Encryption Key List No. select the code you entered before. Write it to the radio and you are in business.
Now when you are on that channel, you should see an icon that looks like an oval with 2 arrows on the lines (*I think) or something like it.

Of course, on analog channels, you only have the built in option of Voice Inversion, which in this day really does no good for any kind of security, so I wouldnt even bother...

Steven

Ding ding ding.
This is the winning answer.

Brankovich

IDAS encryption.

So I found this thread and I have a question/problem regarding IDAS encryption.

I have met with a company that claims that IDAS supports AES256 encryption. The vendor points to
a white paper from Kenwood regarding NXDN standards. In this paper NXDN is said to have three security levels. The advanced level is said to support DES and AES encryption and different levels of bitlenghts.

So I cant find anything about this in the info from ICOM. All that I can find is info that leads me to the same conclusions as above in the thread. But I really need someone to straighten things out. And eliminate this claim from the vendor.

So I would really appreciate any help from this forum since this is a big deal for my company.

/Branko

ASAD

I don't think IDAS supports AES or DES encryption. Nexedge has more features than IDAS. I have been looking into both for over a year and I decided to go with Kenwood because of the features. I still own and program IC-F6061 though. The UT-126H board makes it IDAS which supports only 15 bit encryption. Up until very recently they had UT-119 which does not even have the 15-bit encryption.

I have been purchasing from 5 different dealers. None of them know how to program. When I ask them a question they start reading me the specs sheet (hahaha that's funny). I wouldn't take their word. Reach out to Icom tech support and ask for Henry. He sounds to be the only knowledgeable representative there. You could confirm with him but based on IDAS specs at the link below, I don't think it supports AES/DES.

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?Document=348

Last edited:

SAFFA

The standard encryption (voice scrambler) that is on the IDAS radios, is that enryption compatible with Nexedge standard encryption(Voice scrambler)?

Status
Not open for further replies.