Icom IC-R20 And CI-V With Watson Super Searcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

majestic36

Hi i was just wondering if it is posable to link up my watson super searcher to my Icom IC-R20 to do reactive tuning like i can on my AOR AR 8200 Mk3

If it is posable can you point me in the right direction for the lead please i'v done google but cant find any info other than the IC-R10 can do it and on this link

http://www.javiation.co.uk/ssearcher.html

It also says that with my watson super searcher it can be used on any scanner that has CI-V and the IC-R20 does

Any info on this would be very helpful thank you

Comint

Premium Subscriber
majestic36 said:
Hi i was just wondering if it is posable to link up my watson super searcher to my Icom IC-R20 to do reactive tuning like i can on my AOR AR 8200 Mk3

If it is posable can you point me in the right direction for the lead please i'v done google but cant find any info other than the IC-R10 can do it and on this link

http://www.javiation.co.uk/ssearcher.html

It also says that with my watson super searcher it can be used on any scanner that has CI-V and the IC-R20 does

Any info on this would be very helpful thank you
According to the documentation I've read, the lead supplied with the Super Searcher is the correct one for CI-V.

If you have to get a new lead, it would require a 2.5 mm plug on the Super Searcher end, and a 3.5 stereo plug for the R20. Page 69 of the R20 manual shows the connections required on the R20 end.

--
Comint

majestic36

Hi i'v been down my local maplins store and bought the stereo 3.5mm amd mono 2.5mm jacks solded them up but its not working so do i have the right plugs do you think

I would think i have acording to the book and answer from Comint above

What do you think???

"EDIT"

Hi im just wondering if you could please tell me what you icom CI-V lead looks like

As i had to make mine it has a 3.5mm stereo plug on one end and a 2.5mm mono plug on the other both of the back bits of the plugs are earth and on the 3.5mm stereo plug the second /middle part go's to the end pin on the 2.5mm plug

And the end pin on the 3.5mm plug does nothing it would be a very big help if you could verify this info with your wire please then i will know if my watson super searcher is faulty

why i think mine is faulty is i got it from ebay used but someones been inside it messing about

The watson super searcher will pick up frequencies but will not auto lock them in on my icom

Last edited:

Comint

Premium Subscriber
majestic36 said:
Hi im just wondering if you could please tell me what you icom CI-V lead looks like

As i had to make mine it has a 3.5mm stereo plug on one end and a 2.5mm mono plug on the other both of the back bits of the plugs are earth and on the 3.5mm stereo plug the second /middle part go's to the end pin on the 2.5mm plug

And the end pin on the 3.5mm plug does nothing it would be a very big help if you could verify this info with your wire please then i will know if my watson super searcher is faulty

why i think mine is faulty is i got it from ebay used but someones been inside it messing about
What my CI-V lead looks like is totally irrelevant, as I do not have a Super Searcher, or an R20. I own an R10, and have many years experience using it, and various CI-V interfaces, with a whole range of programs.

The watson super searcher will pick up frequencies but will not auto lock them in on my icom
Have you got the Super Searcher set up correctly, eg., AOR / CI-V switch in the correct position, etc. Does the Super Searcher require input of an address for the CI-V.

If the R20 operates the same way as the R10, then when you plug the CI-V lead into the SPKR/CIV socket, the speaker is disconnected, so you won't hear anything. You will probably need a 'Y' connector to be able to have a Speaker and the CI-V connection at the same time.

--
Comint.

Status
Not open for further replies.