ICOM IC-R20 or IC-R5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falconeye

Hi,

After being convinced to buy an IC-R20, I am wondering if the IC-R5 will not be enough ? Is there something to scan above 1300 Mhz ?

What usefull functions the IC-R20 can bring that IC-r5 cannot ?

the topic is open, pro or cons :)

Air490

The R20 is much "more" receiver than the R5. You should do a comparison of the specifications and features found on the Icom website. If you decide the R5 is all you need it may be worth waiting a bit longer for the IC-R6 to become available. It has a number of improvements over the current R5.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Really, all you need to do is look in our wiki...

IC-R5 - The RadioReference Wiki

IC-R20 - The RadioReference Wiki

Now the question arises about 1.3 Ghz and up. Usually such wideband rxs lose sensitivity dramatically when you get above 1 Ghz or so. It begs a question about what you are trying to hear. Who knows about the allocations in France, but here in the US, listening in this range requires more equipment than just a wide band receiver...73 Mike

Falconeye

Hi,

I saw yesterday that IC-R6 is available and I forgave IC-R5. IC-r6 is more rapid in scan 100 per seconds, so now, I am hesitating between IC-R6 and IC-R20.

I didn't manage to find if IC-R6 can be conected with Ham Radio Deluxe. In the handbook, there is the same schema like IC-R20 describing the connection to a computer. So may be it work with HRD.

The problem with the IC-R20 is its price and the fact that it's bigger and not very portable.

Thanks again for your advices.

Falconeye

Hi,

Finally, I will order the Uniden 3500XLT instead of a small ICOM. I was told that the Uniden is one of the best scanner... If you have information about it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.