R30 Icom IC-R30 accessories - What should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I purchased a used R30 for $400 today, so just waiting on delivery. It included CS R30, but I'll probably purchase the RT Systems software for it. It makes it easy to copy and paste from one radio to the other as I have various versions of RT for other radios. I am not a fan of SMA connectors on devices where the antenna is often removed, so it will get an SMA to BNC adapter right off. I have plenty of antenna options, so no problem there.

- As to accessories, would you recommend the AA battery pack, or just use an external USB battery?
- Is there an aftermarket battery anyone is using for this? I'm thinking I may just go with another OEM and play it safe.
- Is the Icom case the only one out there for it? A search did not result in anything, but one never knows.
- Is there any issues with the microSD card size? Does a larger or smaller size make things wonky or slow to load?

Non accessory question:
How well does it handle RFI from AM & FM broadcast stations? I'm figuring I'll need to use filters, which I already have.

footage

Premium Subscriber
You can do without RT Systems if you use the CSV method to input memory channels. It would be easiest to work from an existing CSV "Memory Channel" file to get the syntax right, which is what I did thanks to the generosity of another RR member.

I use both the AA battery pack and the original rechargeable battery. I was warned that a large SD would slow things down but I am doing fine with a 32GB.

It is quite a radio.

Hit_Factor

The R30 doesn't need the SD card to run. Size will not affect boot up speed, unlike a Uniden SD100 for example. I think there is a limit to the size, check the manual.

RT Systems copy and paste is the only reason to go with that software, otherwise the Icom CS-30 or use the CSV method.

I wouldn't bother with the AA pack, just not enough energy density compared to the lithium cells. An external lithium USB supply could be an excellent choice.

I don't use cases, they just get in the way when it's time to drop in the charger. Then when they come out of the charger you fiddle with it again.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
1st accessory I purchased was the AA battery pack. May not be as strong as the original battery but could be used in the event you run out of juice and need quick power. Been meaning to test the AA pack to see how long it would run compared to the original battery pack. I like the idea Hit Factor mentioned, an external USB battery pack for charging.

N4DJC

The battery life is exceptional, with the drop in charger it’s not too slow considering the capacity. You can only use alkaline cells in the AA battery pack, so it’s wiser to get a USB pack.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I bought the RT software and that's it. I normally buy AA battery packs, but Icom's gave me sticker shock in principle. Someday I might if the mood strikes me. As mentioned above the battery life really is exceptional. I use an el cheapo Microcenter 32GB SD card and no issues with lots of recordings since July.

You'll love it.

Edit: The mobile app is pretty good, for free.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
ARC30 programming software for ICOM IC-R30 scanning receiver - now available!

Overview of options in the ARC30 programming software for the Icom IC-R30 receiver:

• ARC30 programs the Icom IC-R30 receiver (SD card is required!)**
  • ARC30 includes the most versatile memory editor available on the market including cut/copy/paste options!
  • ARC30 includes a user friendly 'browser' that makes navigating the software a breeze
  • ARC30 is programming software only using the SD card slot**. ARC30 does NOT support audio file and ICF file transfer/conversion nor does it control the Icom IC-R30.
  • Fastest transfer of R30 data compared to other software offerings.
  • Radioreference.com* database import option for conventional and trunk frequencies! Programming your receiver was never this easy!
  • Radioreference built in search option
  • Free demo version
  • Edit multiple channels
  • Print option
  • Paste Frequencies directly from any website using 'Paste Special'
  • Setup channels in an easy, spreadsheet type interface.
  • Store unlimited number of configurations on your harddisc.
  • Windows 7 / 8 / 10 compatible
  • Download latest ARC30 software manual sd card addendum
  • All updates are free for registered users
  • Copy/Move/Swap banks
  • Move channels up and down
  • Import/Export CSV data
  • Fill down/series option
  • Full clipboard support for import/export data to/from other applications
  • Enhanced sorting options
  • Remove duplicates / Find duplicates overview
  • 30 day risk free trial period (trial version does not upload data)
  • Cheap and better alternative to Icom's expensive programming CS-R30 and the WCS-R30 software.
    * Radioreference import requires additional subscription and is NOT included with the software

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the replies. It is scheduled to arrive Saturday via USPS, which means I'll expect it next Tuesday.

Here's my plan:
- RT Systems software (because I can just copy and paste from other radios that I also use RTSys with)
- USB battery (As I have enough already, I'll dedicate a small one to the radio I can velcro along with a short USB cable)
- 32 GB SanDisc microSD card (I have spares)
- I'll probably get the leather case and may get a small Pelican case for it which would also hold a USB cable and battery.

The charge/power via USB is a feature that I really like and use that with other receivers. I have a 10 Ah USB pack that will easily handle various radios over a weekend. I am not sure how often I will use the fast charge base, but it is nice to have. The seller wasn't sure about the battery life as he had not used it for a few years. He was able to charge it and power the radio up. Time will tell. Anyways, it will surely be an improvement over the Yaesu VR-500 I have used as of late. It is also the reason why I have various filters/traps.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
@Hit_Factor Thank you for that. I'll perform a reset and then ensure it has the latest firmware before any programming or worry about something being wonky. I'll format the microSD card in it as well to ensure it plays nice. Hopefully between it and my SDR, it will push back a purchase of the R8600.

eorange

@vagrant - What kind of filters & traps do you pair with your VR-500? I love mine and just use it for what it is; never really thought about using filters.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I use the HPN-1000 or something like that. It has BNC connectors and handles AM & FM broadcast stations. They are really bad here, especially FM. On the 500 I can hear the offending stations when up in VHF. I have another filter for just AM broadcast too. It has BNC connectors as well. I purchased them from Scanner Master years ago.

I also have problems with a particular paging system on 152 MHz. I use a Par filter for that. I use several of those at home, vehicle, etc. same with FM filters. The 500 is wide open which is good and bad. When using a small loop it works well enough. It is a fun receiver and I own two. Have you used the narrow AM feature? I enjoy it.

I use RT Systems for the 500 and it is where I will pull freqs for the R30.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Would be nice if someone came out with a app so I can use a SDR spectrum scope and waterfall display on my computer monitor with full control of the R30. That would be a great accessory.

eorange

Good to know, thanks. And yes, I always have NAM enabled; it does make a difference. I've had mine since 2002 and sent it back for repair about 3 years ago to fix the vertical line display problem. They also threw in a new keypad (not that it overly needed it) which was a nice surprise. Apparently I just got in under the wire because I've heard they don't service the VR-500 any more. I'll never part with mine.

Ditto on using RT Systems for the VR-500. In fact I reported a few bugs where the programmed mode would be switched to some other mode in the lower bands, which they fixed.

In answer to your R-30 question about RFI from AM and FM broadcast stations...I can't really say, mostly because broadcast interference here doesn't seem too bad and I'm monitoring VHF/UHF airband quite a bit. Then again...how would I know since I don't use external filters. Maybe I should get one to establish a baseline.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
If you use the 500 for VHF and don‘t hear an FM station, you’re in a better environment than I. That alone may indicate the need for a filter. Still, they’re relatively inexpensive and you could re-sell it probably to me or others that definitely need it.

While I initially use a VNA type of device to sweep a filter, I then use an SDR for further testing, vs just audibly. Observing the noise floor and looking at the numbers tells me what I need to know. Analyzing is part of the fun for me.

eorange

Ok. I assume this came from your site; if so, you might want to reword it:

ARC30 is programming software only using the SD card slot**

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Just buy one of the SDRPlay SDR devices and have fun. Leave the R30 to do it's thing, enjoy the SDR waterfall and quit wishing for what will never happen with the R30. I use an SDRPlay Duo and it's total fun. The scanners and receivers do their thing and I fish around with the SDR enjoying the visual. I have the SDR connected to a Scantenna for VHF/UHF and a Off Center Fed wire for HF stuff.

You can sit in your boat wishing and waiting for the fish to jump in, or you can cast a line like the rest of us.

Would be nice if someone came out with a app so I can use a SDR spectrum scope and waterfall display on my computer monitor with full control of the R30. That would be a great accessory.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
You can do without RT Systems if you use the CSV method to input memory channels. It would be easiest to work from an existing CSV "Memory Channel" file to get the syntax right, which is what I did thanks to the generosity of another RR member.

By the "CSV method", do you mean just copying the appropriate .csv file directly onto the R30 memory card?

Status
Not open for further replies.