R30 Icom IC-R30 European version?

Onetechyguy

Hi, Someone is selling a European version of the R30 which I am interested in outside of the US. I am aware of it not having the preprogrammed weather bands but are there any other differences in the band plan that would prevent me from programming it like the US model or are they basically the same thing other than it being wide open on frequency response?

Also, would there be any issues having it shipped from Canada into the US?
Thanks

palmerjrusa

Hi, Someone is selling a European version of the R30 which I am interested in outside of the US. I am aware of it not having the preprogrammed weather bands but are there any other differences in the band plan that would prevent me from programming it like the US model or are they basically the same thing other than it being wide open on frequency response?

Also, would there be any issues having it shipped from Canada into the US?
Thanks

If it's the European version it's likely unblocked but otherwise pretty much the same radio.

Not aware of any shipping issued from Canada, I guess there might be export duty/customs costs though.

The point you need to be aware of if it is unblocked and it has to be sent back to Icom USA to be repaired (one of my two IC-R30s is currently back at Icom under warranty repair) they won't touch it because no one is supposed to have an unblocked unit here in the US.

palmerjrusa

Thanks, That’s a good point! I might have to pass on this unit then. I wouldn’t want any problems in the event it ever had to go in for repairs.

I will say this.

In the more than 30 years of buying Icom gear, and I've bought a ton of it over the years, this is the first time I've had any issues with an Icom radio.

Icom's quality control is the gold standard and second to none.