Icom IC-R6 Charging Dock

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky28965

Premium Subscriber
I'm considering buying one of these.
Does anyone have one & can confirm weather the radio can be left permanently in the charger ?

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
I have a R6 but don't have the Charging Dock, so I can't directly answer your question,

However, I also have an ICOM-R30 which comes with the Charging Dock in order to charge the Lithium Battery Pack. In the R30 owner's manual, there is the following statement near the beginning of the manual ---

Noise signals while charging
You may hear some noises caused by signals generated in the charging circuit. Be sure
to turn OFF the receiver before charging.

Several folks on the forum have noticed that problem. I have never used my R30 while in the charging dock, but I have used other scanners and receivers near a MAHA battery charger and I do receive some interference on the AM band for aircraft especially in the 118 to 122 range.

The main differences in the R6 and the R30 charging dock is -- the R30 is a rapid charge dock that can charge a large lithium pack in about 2 hours where the R6 dock is a slow charging dock that takes 6 to 8 hours to charge 2 - AA batteries, so the R6 may not create as much "noise". The R30 Charging Dock also receives feedback from the receiver and stops charging when the battery pack is at 100%. I don't know if the R6 Charging Dock will just keep on charging when the batteries get to 100% or if it will cut off. Overcharging AA batteries is not good for them if you do it for an extended time.

If you have some other battery charging device, you could try setting the R6 next to it and see if you get interference.

rocky28965

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the informative reply.
I was more concerned with overcharging than with noise.
I havent noticed any added noise when using the wired charger.
When it is on charge, it shows charge on the LSD.
Sometime it goes off after a length of time, but not always.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
IMHO, it's better to go with a set of Eneloop NiMH batteries and charge them outside of the radio. Less risk to your radio, less RFI noise, and better lifespan of your batteries using an external charger.

Not sure what the capacity or performance is of the provided Icom rechargeable cells, but I'd be willing to bet the Eneloops outclass them. Been running the R6 here with standard capacity Eneloops for years and they work great -- never had a single issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.