R75 ICOM IC-R75

Dextro32

ICOM IC-R75 Advice Please I am new to shortwave listening and I have decided to Purchase the above model Receiver any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you

w2xq

Mentor
ICOM IC-R75 Advice Please I am new to shortwave listening and I have decided to Purchase the above model Receiver any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you
It is an older radio introduced in 1999. A memory cell may need replacing. I wouldn't touch it if used by a smoker or it was modified by a previous user. I have no idea of pricing these days, but the price will vary depending upon any additional filters and accessories that are installed. Accessories may be in short supply; the software most likely would not run on current Windows PCs.

You might was to read a review I wrote in 2000, appearing on the Radio Netherlands' Media Network webpages: RECEIVER REVIEW: ICOM IC-R75 – Medium Wave Circle

Today I would opt to run the receiver on an external non-switching power supply, such as the Astrons. I use a 20A power supply that powered a number of receivers and desktop accessories at once; everything runs cooler.

I reviewed other receivers in years past, and you might be interested in the PDF "radios on the table" : W2XQ.com : Bibliography

HTH a bit.

Last edited:

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
1. Coaxial cable will help to connect an outdoor antenna to your radio. Ensure it has the proper connectors for your radio and antenna.

2. An outdoor antenna will help quite a bit. A receive only wire antenna with a 9:1 balun would work to some degree. The bands you want to listen to will direct you on the length of the wire to use. Alternatively, there is the YouLoop antenna for indoor use, or a very good option is an amplified receive only antenna made by W6LVP. Also, I think the Icom R75 has ports on the back so you can directly connect a wire antenna. If you have some wire already, you may want to try that to start while you research improved antenna options.

3. You may need an inline AM filter on your coax to reduce interference from nearby broadcast AM stations.

4. The front speaker on the R75 is small. You may want to use an 8 Ohm speaker you already have. I use an old Radio Shack / Archer speaker in order to provide much more dynamic range. It's a reasonably sized box around 12" x 8" x 8".

5. Oh...you may need an inline RF Choke. You would place this at the antenna feed point. Basically, Radio > Coax > Choke > Antenna. Some people need an additional RF choke on the coax inside the house and use a short coax piece to connect it to the radio. Your antenna may pick up quite a bit of noise from wherever and a quality 1:1 RF choke will help. MyAntenna's make some pretty good one's, or you could make your own and experiment. There are plenty of examples online.

6. Audio patch cables - This can be helpful if you want to decode digital transmissions such as SSTV, PSK31, FT8, WEFAX, etc. Basically, the audio cable connects to a computer and you would use whatever program to decode your selected signal. With SSTV, amateur radio operators send pictures to each other to communicate instead of simply talking. PSK31 and FT8 are digital modes that amateurs also use to communicate without using their voice. WEFAX is simply weather charts, etc. Alternatively, I also use Apple and Android phones that have apps that can decode all that without a computer and audio cable patch wire. I just place the device near the speaker.

7. A big help will be finding/identifying stations. I use this website. Short-Wave Radio Frequency Schedule for BBC in ENGLISH

Icom also sells CW and SSB filters for the R75. You may not need those and I would put those on the bottom of your accessories to purchase. Your antenna and coax are the most important items. Next are filters and RF chokes to block interfering signals.

*** An alternative to purchasing an Icom R75 is to not purchasing anything and use a free online SDR. A favorite of mine is The University of Twente SDR. I have radio gear worth thousands and I still use this online free receiver from time to time.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Where you live and what you hope to monitor will play a very big role on how satisfied you will be. Some environments don't lend themselves to successful LW/MW/SW listening. Antenna requirements are more cumbersome than VHF/UHF scanner radios. Trailer parks, apartments, and most residential HOA's make it very difficult to put up a suitable antenna.

I had the IC-R 75 myself (about 3-4 years ago) and was very satisfied with the device.
The receiver is still a very good device today and is suitable for radio reception, just as well as for SSB or data modes.
Just don't expect too much from the built-in speaker, which unfortunately isn't much good.
Here you should use a good additional loudspeaker. The built-in filters also play a major role,
but it is difficult to make a statement without knowing exactly what you want to receive.
Although filters can be retrofitted or replaced, they are difficult to obtain or can be obtained for a lot of money.
The antenna question is also not that easy to answer. Depending on where you live, a good outdoor antenna can
be useful or it only receives interference (e.g. in a big city).
As an alternative to the IC-R 75, you can also use a JRC NRD 525 / 535 / 545, depending on the selling price.
Currently, the prices for good used receivers are quite high (at least here in Germany).

Mophead

Premium Subscriber
Great radio, still own one but I must say I use my SDRplay these days for listening to SW. I am spoiled by the software's spectrum analyzer and waterfall.

Great radio, still own one but I must say I use my SDRplay these days for listening to SW. I am spoiled by the software's spectrum analyzer and waterfall.
People's preferences are so different. I love my NRD 545 and the knobs and switches.
You still have something up your sleeve. I hate doing everything through software.
Of course, a spectrum analyzer has certain advantages ;) .

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I don't know about the R75, but the R-71 would have a big problem if its coin cell holding the "operating system" ever failed, there was a company that would replace the memory so that it wouldn't happen.

Thanks
Joel

palmerjrusa

People's preferences are so different. I love my NRD 545 and the knobs and switches.
You still have something up your sleeve. I hate doing everything through software.
Of course, a spectrum analyzer has certain advantages ;) .

Beautiful, beautiful receiver, hanging on to mine😀...

majoco

Stirrer
....and I'm hanging on to my NRD 515 - unfortunately the memory unit has had the batteries left in it when I bought it and has finally given up the will to live....

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
I'd stay away from the IC-R75. I had one years ago and was never satisfied with it. Some of the main gripes I encountered with the receiver were:

- No mid range filters
- Useless sync detector
- High noise floor with a hissing sound
- DSP noise reduction/notch filter (if fitted) is fiddly and causes audio distortion
- SW broadcast listening is fatiguing
- Front facing speaker is awful
- Audio bandwidth stuck at 3KHz and external speaker makes no difference to audio quality

Main Pros are pass-band tuning and good SSB demodulation. It's actually not a bad rig for utility listening provide one gets decent filters and hooks up a suitable antenna.

I'd personally go for an Alinco DX-R8T instead or a good condition JRC rig like the NRD-345.

I cannot accept the criticisms mentioned.
At least with the IC-R 75 that I had in operation for a long time, these were not available.

- No midrange filter = true.
- Useless sync detector = wasn't important for me, only received SSB
- High background noise with a hissing noise = I can't confirm that with my IC-R 75.
- DSP noise reduction/notch filter (if any) is fiddly and causes audio distortion = DSP intervention can be adjusted in the menu, if you use it very carefully (i.e. not too high) it is quite usable.
- Listening to SW broadcast is tiring = I can't confirm that either, but I only listened through headphones and it worked great.
- Front-facing speaker is terrible = true, it's no good.
- The audio bandwidth is stuck at 3 KHz and external speakers make no difference in audio quality = I can't confirm that either. Definitely usable results achieved with additional loudspeakers.

Could possibly also be due to a series spread. One gets a good receiver, the other gets a less useful one, that's how it is sometimes.

Mophead

Premium Subscriber
I'd stay away from the IC-R75. I had one years ago and was never satisfied with it. Some of the main gripes I encountered with the receiver were:

- No mid range filters
- Useless sync detector
- High noise floor with a hissing sound
- DSP noise reduction/notch filter (if fitted) is fiddly and causes audio distortion
- SW broadcast listening is fatiguing
- Front facing speaker is awful
- Audio bandwidth stuck at 3KHz and external speaker makes no difference to audio quality

Main Pros are pass-band tuning and good SSB demodulation. It's actually not a bad rig for utility listening provide one gets decent filters and hooks up a suitable antenna.

I'd personally go for an Alinco DX-R8T instead or a good condition JRC rig like the NRD-345.
You must of had a defective R75. With a good magnetic loop and a linear power supply that radio is 95% devoid of noise and picks up the faintest of signals! The sync detector does suck. Thinking about sending it to Kiwa if they ever come back.

EastTroyDon

I disagree with the external speaker comment. I use an Icom SP-23 and its has made a remarkable difference in shortwave fidelity. The R75 is superior for a "bang for the buck" receiver. A few suggestions: Dump the noisy ICOM power supply that comes with the R75 and replace it . There are numerous ones available. Also, many of the perceived problems and shortcomings listed above are easily remedied with using ECSS on USB/LSB procedure instead of the standard AM mode. I've had my R75 for years and wouldn't part with it (or my Yaesu FRG 7700). As for SDR's, they certainly form a niche but many old school DX'ers look a bit askance at them and don't consider them "real radios". To each his own,

Last edited: