Icom IC-R8600 & IC-R30 software co-exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlynH

Hi there,

I have recently purchased an Icom IC-R8600 and am lucky enough to have an IC-R30 on the way.

I have already installed the 8600 software packages; RS-R8600 Remote Control & CS-R8600 Programming/Cloning software along with the USB Driver & USB_IQ software and all appears to be working as far as I can tell although I have only just started to scratch the surface.

The IC-R30 is coming with its own programming software strangely enough named CS-R30 Programming/Cloning software! :)

What I would like to know is as I already have the Icom USB driver installed & working for the R8600 on the PC can I get by without installing a second instance of it for the R30?

And whichever way will I have to choose a different COM Port for use with the R30 (I currently use COM Port 1 for the R8600) and will both software packages happily co-exist on the same PC?

I'm hoping using both packages will make it easy keeping both radio memories in sync.

Any other gotcha's I need to be aware of?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

AOR-262

@GlynH

What I would like to know is as I already have the Icom USB driver installed & working for the R8600 on the PC can I get by without installing a second instance of it for the R30?

... you would need to install the USB drivers for the R30.

And whichever way will I have to choose a different COM Port for use with the R30 (I currently use COM Port 1 for the R8600) and will both software packages happily co-exist on the same PC?

... you can change the 'COM' Port to both the same i.e. the R8600 and R30 used 'COM 1' ... as long as both devices are not plugged in at the same time.

As for "both software packages happily co-exist on the same PC?" ... it's the same software so running two instances you might get an option to choose which device you wish to read/write to BUT that'll only apply if the devices use different COM ports.

Hit_Factor

You should be fine. I have 5 different Icom radios, no problems at all. Typically have 3 connected full time, 2 others as needed.

It's unlikely that you'll have to do anything after installing cs-r30, other than setting the com port (one time is all it takes).

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I am running the IC-R6, IC-R30, and IC-Q7A on the same computer. plus programs for several other radios on a single computer.

GlynH

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys!

Just so I am clear...I still have to install the Icom USB driver for the IC-R30 even though I have already installed & use the Icom USB driver for the IC-R6800?

Sorry to labour the point but it seems a bit odd to me and I'm worried that I might upset my working USB Driver because when I installed the R8600 USB driver I *think* it told me to uninstall any other instances of the USB driver before installing it and I have visions of going around in circles in an infinite loop or something?

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

AOR-262

@GlynH

Just so I am clear...I still have to install the Icom USB driver for the IC-R30 even though I have already installed & use the Icom USB driver for the IC-R6800?

Yes - you will need to install the driver for your R30.

when I installed the R8600 USB driver I *think* it told me to uninstall any other instances of the USB driver before installing it

Usually when you install another USB driver for a device (such as your R8600), it will be an update and will overwrite the older version. In this case you'll be installing a 'new' / another driver which is specific to your R30 (not your R8600)

GlynH

Exactly as you said so thanks for that.

Icom don’t even include a readme on the CD but do provide a sales brochure which isn’t much use when you already have the radio!

Installed the driver first followed by the CSR software itself from the CD then downloaded &ran the upgrade.exe file.

Thought the COM Port wasn’t working at first but of course the radio has to be plugged in and turned on before it can be assigned.

It defaulted to COM5 (the R8600 was COM1) and it can send & receive to/from the radio.

And the R8600 still works so it didn’t seem to upset anything in the process.

Was disappointed that the .icf files were not compatible between radios but if I export from the R8600 in .csv I can import into the R30 so easily overcome.

Now I can have both radios with the same memory banks but I haven’t delved too deep into the software side of things yet.

Appreciate the help & advice.(y)

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Status
Not open for further replies.