Icom IC-V8

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucas2121

Premium Subscriber
I have an IC-V8 connected to an old mag mount scanner/ CB antenna, just today it started acting weird.
I was listening to a neighboring county's fire dispatch and it kept changing channels on its own and I would put it back up one and 30 sec to a min later it would go back down. After this it just stopped receiving, my other radio with a stock antenna would pick up the channel and the V8 wouldn't. It never did this in the past thats why its weird to me. Does anybody know what this may be, is their an update for it. btw I do not transmit from the V8

dwh367

I have an IC-V8 connected to an old mag mount scanner/ CB antenna, just today it started acting weird.
I was listening to a neighboring county's fire dispatch and it kept changing channels on its own and I would put it back up one and 30 sec to a min later it would go back down. After this it just stopped receiving, my other radio with a stock antenna would pick up the channel and the V8 wouldn't. It never did this in the past thats why its weird to me. Does anybody know what this may be, is their an update for it. btw I do not transmit from the V8

If you've done much transmitting on that antenna, that would pretty well explain things.

lucas2121

Premium Subscriber
If you've done much transmitting on that antenna, that would pretty well explain things.

that's what I was thinking, but I never transmit with this radio, it's always been used for receive only. I've wanted to get a vhf antenna I figured it would pick up better but could never afford it. Well I could afford it but am much to cheap.

methusaleh

Try reassigning the functions of the keys/dial that change the channels; perhaps your current channel changing button/dial is defective.

dwh367

that's what I was thinking, but I never transmit with this radio, it's always been used for receive only. I've wanted to get a vhf antenna I figured it would pick up better but could never afford it. Well I could afford it but am much to cheap.

Sorry. I missed the last sentence in your original post. I've had a handheld act like that on me like that after it received an accidental static electricity discharge. I would try taking the battery out for a couple of hours or so and then give it a try. This is what worked for mine although your mileage may vary. As a last resort, I would try doing a hard reset on it.

lucas2121

Premium Subscriber
Sorry. I missed the last sentence in your original post. I've had a handheld act like that on me like that after it received an accidental static electricity discharge. I would try taking the battery out for a couple of hours or so and then give it a try. This is what worked for mine although your mileage may vary. As a last resort, I would try doing a hard reset on it.

Alright, thanks I have all the programing for it on my computer so I'll try both.

lucas2121

Premium Subscriber
Update:thanks it's working again and I discovered that the intermediate freq is the same as the channel I was monitoring, this is what is causing the channel to jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.