Icom IC-W32A Airband Question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Anybody ever use this radio for aircraft monitoring? I know it covers the aircraft band. I like the dual receive ability and I am curious if it can do dual receive in that band. I haven't found anything on this. I have a chance to snag one up for dirt cheap.

Manny

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
What does the manual say? Some information says each knob can be VHF/VHF, UHF/UHF. VHF/UHF. I couldn't determine if the AM is available on both but the manual should explain this.

MotownJG

Premium Subscriber
Dang I hate these questions when I own one and can't answer it off the top of my head! I'm sure I"ve run both UHF on one side & VHF on the other at the same time. I'm pretty sure I heard them both through the one speaker. I'd turn down side to listen to the other if they were simultaneous.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
What does the manual say? Some information says each knob can be VHF/VHF, UHF/UHF. VHF/UHF. I couldn't determine if the AM is available on both but the manual should explain this.

Dang I hate these questions when I own one and can't answer it off the top of my head! I'm sure I"ve run both UHF on one side & VHF on the other at the same time. I'm pretty sure I heard them both through the one speaker. I'd turn down side to listen to the other if they were simultaneous.

I know it will do dual receive on the amateur bands in Vhf-Vhf and Uhf-Uhf configurations but does that apply to the air band? THAT'S what I'm having trouble figuring out. :roll:

Manny

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Mine refuses to let me listen to the local airport tower - won't take the frequency when I try to input it.
125.3 mhz.

At all? Or just on one side? It is supposed to cover from 118-136mhz in AM mode.

Manny

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
looked at the online manual, page 13 explains how to access the "avionics" band

$.02

Yes, I read that page. My thoughts after re-reading it is that most likely you cannot do dual receive of the air band. I was hoping that someone who actually had one could say definitely one way or the other.

Manny

majoco

Stirrer
Probably because when you switch to the airband, you get an AM detector rather than an NFM so the 70cm band won't be properly detected.

Status
Not open for further replies.