Icom: Icom ID-31

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spankymedic7

Hi all,

I'm trying to program the ID-31 with RT Systems software and cable. Everything is going fine until I try loading it into the radio. The radio beeps and flashes "ERROR", whiled the software continues to (try) to load the codeplug into the radio. I've followed each instruction from the RT Systems insert to no avail. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Hit_Factor

Could be something in the data that's incorrect.

Try reading the radio, let's see if it can communicate at all.

Run RTUpdate to make sure RT Systems is up to date.

Check the Icom website for firmware upgrade. How about the Icom programming software for the ID-31, if it's free, download it and give it a try.

Try programming just one freq and see if that makes a difference. If that works, start adding more channels.

I have a couple ID-51 HTs, no ID-31s. Pretty similar radios, except for the obvious.

Spankymedic7

I've tried reading the radio, no luck. I'll give RTUpdate a try, and will also check Icom website and see what happens. Would there be any other program software that you'd recommend? You know how some folks always think there is other, better software out there (who am I to judge anyway, lol).

Thanks for your time and knowledge, I really appreciate it!

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Possibly the plug in the radio is not fully seated. Being recessed it is hard to tell. Have you tried using the SD card method? I have a 51 and RTS so I am assuming same programing tools.
Good Luck!

Spankymedic7

Well, I found the problem...or I should say my friend and I did. The radio faceplate says "ID-31", the screen (on power up) says "ID-31A"...and the tag on the rear of radio says "ID-31A PLUS". I bought the wrong programming software. I purchased the proper software from RT Systems and...VOILA! It took me less than half hour to program the radio.

Thank you for your help!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The radio faceplate says "ID-31", the screen (on power up) says "ID-31A"...
ID-31 and ID-31A should be essentially the same. The "A" indicates that that particular radio was sold for the North American market. An "E" would indicate European market.

Plus vs. not-plus are different firmware and probably different hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.