Icom: ICOM ID 5100 Deluxe Crossband?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
I got this radio a few months ago and decided its a better radio for the garage than vehicle.
I'd like to use xband repeater but i cant find settings for output PL

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
With most cross-band repeaters, you set up one frequency on one side of the radio with appropriate PL settings and set up the other frequency on the other side with the appropriate PL settings. When either side transmits, the radio uses the tone set up for that side.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
This is exciting news to me but I’d like to share that this radio can pass p25 via cross band repeat in simplex mode of course

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
ID-5100 doing P25? I don't think so. D-star maybe?

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, P25 will get through that way, after a fashion. If it works for what SirJ has in mind, great.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber

Skip to about 8:30. According to this guy it can pass P25.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
It would be nice to actually see a video of P25 crossband versus claiming it does.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Agreed. If anyone has one I’d like to have it confirmed. I’d buy one if it can be verified.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Yes, actually showing it work would be much more enlightening that telling us it works.

For some reason, the guy thinks the ID-5100 can "pass digital because it's a digital radio". I don't think it being a digital radio has anything to do with it. If the crossband feature actually works for P25, it's possible that it's merely passing the audio without decoding it. If the ID-5100 has enough audio bandwidth and doesn't apply any pre- or de-emphasis, the data stream might remain intact.

Also, there's this: In a reply made three weeks ago to a comment asking the YouTuber to actually show the crossband P25 in action, the YouTuber stated "Sorry I have a complete internet connected P25 mobile hot-spot setup in the truck now so don't use the cross-band setup any longer."

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The 5100 crossband does in fact acts as a "bent pipe". It theoretically can pass any C4FM carrier, provided it is perfect and unmolested- as a bent pipe, it does nothing to correct errors and if ANYTHING is off (frequency, deviation, etc) you'll get nothing on the other end. The way Icom radios handle cross band repeat hasn't changed in decades. I have an IC-2410H that behaves the same way. Other manufacturers seem to apply pre-emphasis/de-emphasis and strip PL/DPL on receive then re-encode. The Kenwood radios do a spectacular job.

Status
Not open for further replies.