Icom: Icom ID-5100 Display issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX5812

My ID-5100 display has gone bonkers. Something seems to be wrong with the touch sensor. It acts like you are touching the display when im not even near it.. for example i will have it in scan mode and it will stop scanning and act like i hit the fm/dv button on the top of the screen, then it will highlight the dv button when the options pull up. Also when i hit the F buttons it acts like I hit it 15 times and scrolls through the different f1,f2,f3.After many attempts at a time i can get into the touch screen calibration but it does no good. same results. I emailed Icom and of course all they said was to send it in. With the radio being on the market so long i would think someone has had this issue before. Ive seen cell phones have this issue and it was a touch sensor. Anyone know what part is out on this or what the issue might be?

cognetic

Premium Subscriber
Uggghh... sorry to hear about your experience, wx5atx1.
I've owned/own several of these devices, a couple running 24/7/365.

The only screen issues I've experienced have been related to cable or near-field RF feedback or frank head unit failure - mobile, marine portable, fixed base applications.

Please let us know how you fair with any repair specifics!!

-cognetic

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I had weird problems like this once when I left the programming cable plugged into the radio. The radio was not a 5100 though.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
My 5100 would have the display lock up. I purchased a new display and swapped it myself easily.

WX5812

Uggghh... sorry to hear about your experience, wx5atx1.
I've owned/own several of these devices, a couple running 24/7/365.

The only screen issues I've experienced have been related to cable or near-field RF feedback or frank head unit failure - mobile, marine portable, fixed base applications.

Please let us know how you fair with any repair specifics!!

-cognetic
I sure will. Thank you for your reply.

WX5812

My 5100 would have the display lock up. I purchased a new display and swapped it myself easily.

did you buy a whole new head or just the display itself? Would you mind disclosing how much that cost and what there is to it if you are talking about the display itself.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
It’s been quite a few years but I thought it was around $150 US for the display only. It was an easy job, if you’re comfortable with small screws and ribbon cables.

WX5812

It’s been quite a few years but I thought it was around $150 US for the display only. It was an easy job, if you’re comfortable with small screws and ribbon cables.
Ok thanks, I’ll get in touch with Icom this week. Unless there is somewhere else I can get it?

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I'm not familiar with the type, but in the early days of PDAs foreign objects between the screen and frame could be troublesome. Sliding a piece of pager around the frame edge might turn something up.
Mike

WX5812

My radio has started exhibiting the same behavior. Have you had any success?
No I have not. But I did get a quote from Icom for a new display. And I’m hoping that will fix it. The new lcd display is $75. I can give you the part number if you would like.

WX5812

Thank you, yes.

here is the email from icom:
Hello and good morning to you. Here is the information that you have requested.

Part# : 5030003870
Price: $ 74.76
ETA: We have them in stock

Attachments

• 6EDEC791-9660-420C-A7E1-5436FE6AF2A4.png
    6EDEC791-9660-420C-A7E1-5436FE6AF2A4.png
    95.4 KB · Views: 99
Status
Not open for further replies.