Icom ID-880H + Larsen NMO 2/70C 2013 Honda Accord Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanesFan95

First time ever drilling a hole. Finally got over the nerves and just did it.

ayl1n.jpg

zwf48.jpg

t3veu.jpg

CanesFan95

sbok1.jpg

The faceplate has 2 round magnets that attach it to the bracket. That way you can remove it easily and use it. But the magnets are strong enough that the display stays put firmly and doesn't wobble when you push buttons.

vt692.jpg

zfm6j.jpg

yef8p.jpg

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Very nicely done! The thought of drilling a hole for the antenna in a new vehicle makes most people tremble, but most don't think twice about drilling holes in the console or dash to mount a radio.

How is the transmit and receive with the new setup?

It's a sweet install, and thanks for the pics.

Russell

CanesFan95

The SWR on VHF is absolutely flat, but UHF is around 1.4 - 1.6. So I kinda wish UHF was a little better. I think until I've had a little more time to drive around, I won't be sure how great the performance is. So far, I'm able to key up repeaters a county away on 15 watts next to my 3-story apartment building, so I guess that pretty good!

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
The holes on the mount dont look like there pointed parallel to the trunk which point the jaws front to back...if left off post the wind might wiggle mount lose...other than that nice install

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

If you do lots of ragchewn' on high power, you may want to think about replacing the. Element with an open coil, they have a history of melting under high power when not moving, seen a couple around here bent at odd angles. Looks good, Nice job

CanesFan95

The holes on the mount dont look like there pointed parallel to the trunk which point the jaws front to back...if left off post the wind might wiggle mount lose...other than that nice install

Say that again?

CanesFan95

If you do lots of ragchewn' on high power, you may want to think about replacing the. Element with an open coil, they have a history of melting under high power when not moving, seen a couple around here bent at odd angles. Looks good, Nice job

I don't do a lot of rag chewing, and the plan is to pretty much keep it on medium power (15 watts). The antenna is rated for 200 watts, but I guess it can still melt? Is it even safe to transmit 50 watts from an antenna that is only about 5 feet from the back of my head?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I don't do a lot of rag chewing, and the plan is to pretty much keep it on medium power (15 watts). The antenna is rated for 200 watts, but I guess it can still melt? Is it even safe to transmit 50 watts from an antenna that is only about 5 feet from the back of my head?

I used to have a closed coil version, lost it in one of my many moves, and although I never had issues, I have seen them melt the loading coil by long winded old farts. Chances it was more than just being on high power ( road salt intrusion ect). I would not put more than 50 watts into it.

There was a guy near where I live, that was using a 75w mobile, rag chewing, in the summer, not moving and his closed coil melted down.

I love Larsen antennas, I currently have an NMO 2/70 with the black open coil element. I like the antenna, it works VERY well, in fact I would not trade it for any other dual band antenna on the market. I have mine in the centre of the roof of my company truck, hole mounted. There is a UHF repeater that is in a really good location, that I can use any where with in 80-90KM of it. VHF is pretty decent for only being a half wave with no real gain to speak of as well.

Honestly, I do not have the math skills to figure out what kind of energy one would be exposed to, but I have a 45w commercial radio that the antenna is venter mounted on the driver side of the same truck. Chances are that there is not a great risk with the antenna on the trunk @ 50w.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mrweather

Say that again?
I think what the poster is saying is the "teeth" of the NMO mount that grab the underside of the trunklid aren't aligned front-to-back. When a vehicle is in motion, the wind resistance on the whip wants to pull the antenna back and by having the mount teeth aligned front-to-back it counteracts that pulling force.

Nice clean install regardless. Where did you mount the speaker?

CanesFan95

The speaker is mounted on the console. You can see it in the forth photo above, behind the mic cord. That's interesting about the NMO teeth. I slowly read up on this and watched videos for several weeks before doing the install, and that's one issue I didn't see.

Status
Not open for further replies.