Icom ID-880H: What 3rd Party GPS to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen_at_OES

I want to do some D-Star operation with GPS positioning (I'm a D-Star newbi, but think it could be useful during SAR ops). I have a new Icom ID-880H on the way, and I need to obtain a "3rd party" GPS receiver/antenna for input during mobile operation.

I would appreciate input which would help me decide what 3rd party GPS system to use and any wiring tips to interface it with an Icom ID-880H.

Thank you.

Glenn W6JLX

KE7WWT

Premium Subscriber
Operator

I too recently picked up a ID-880 and want to add a GPS capability to it. I have used the IC92AD almost since it came out. If anyone has any ideas drop me a line at maurice.mitchell at us.army.mil

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Garmin GPS 18

Gents,

I use a Garmin GPS 18 (serial version puck) with my ID-880H and you can make a cable that emulates the OPC-1529 data cable from Icom. The data needs to be "crossed over" like a modem.

Use GPS-A / DV-A mode as it has better CRC protection and shorter data transmissions.

I have mine set to transmit on PTT manually.

This works well and the DV-A annunicator on the ID-880H will let you know when you are receiving valid NMEA-0183 navigation sentences.

ID-880H is a great radio and the Garmin 18 works well with it. You can get cheap on this is you want to look around at OEM cheap chinese GPS pucks.

http://www.usglobalsat.com/p-57-br-355-gps.aspx

You will need to contrive a power supply (6V) and cabling/housing for the supply.

Craig

Last edited:

mattford1

need help in setting up gps on ic 880h

I got the Garmin 18x PC GPS Navigator Unit and the Mini Null Modem DB9 Male / DB9 Male, Adaptor

I hooked it up to the data hole but I'm not sure what to set the setting to can some one please email me a step by step what to do on the radio I'm going thru the wd5aii repeater if that help

my email is mattford1@cox.net or kf5jrp@gmail.com

thanks for any help,

Matt de KF5JRP

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
There are menu items in the ID-880H to set -

Voice Mode = DV-A
Data speed for GPS should be set to 4800 bps

Once the GPS annunciator starts flashing, the ID-880H is receiving valid NMEA - 0183 navigation sentences - I usually select the $RMC

If you have a channel memory programmed for a local gateway/port which is running the APRS-IS software (almost all do) then your position will be sent to the APRS - IS servers from the gateway.

You should see you call sign and selected symbol appear on aprs.fi

Remember, if the annunciator in the control head is not flashing, then you are not receiving data or the GPS has not converged to position yet.

This is all in the manual.

Good luck, Craig

mattford1

I'm not getting the gps to show in the right corner of the display i hooked it up right i did the setting in the radio i hooked the data cable to the null modem and the gps to the null modem and plugged the power for the gps into the cigaret lighter can you help me to figure out why its still not working please

Matt De KF5JRP

There are menu items in the ID-880H to set -

Voice Mode = DV-A
Data speed for GPS should be set to 4800 bps

Once the GPS annunciator starts flashing, the ID-880H is receiving valid NMEA - 0183 navigation sentences - I usually select the $RMC

If you have a channel memory programmed for a local gateway/port which is running the APRS-IS software (almost all do) then your position will be sent to the APRS - IS servers from the gateway.

You should see you call sign and selected symbol appear on aprs.fi

Remember, if the annunciator in the control head is not flashing, then you are not receiving data or the GPS has not converged to position yet.

I'm not getting the gps to show in the right corner of the display i hooked it up right

This is all in the manual.

Good luck, Craig

SirSmith

I hooked my Garmin puck up to my 880H today and after setting the baud to 4800 it does seem to be working alright. I put it in DVA mode but have yet to try it on a repeater. My question is is why does the time field remain blank even after my position appears?

Status
Not open for further replies.