Icom M-88 For Land Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9MEL

Anyone here use the 22 free channels for land use? Also, is it hard to program with the software?

SAR923

Haven't used that radio but the 22 VHF channels is a neat idea. Looks it could be programmed for the 2 meter band or MURS. I don't know how difficult it is to program by hand but other Icom's I've owned haven't been easy. You can buy a programming cable and software for it but that adds about $90 to the total cost.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
SAR2401 said:
Haven't used that radio but the 22 VHF channels is a neat idea. Looks it could be programmed for the 2 meter band or MURS. I don't know how difficult it is to program by hand but other Icom's I've owned haven't been easy. You can buy a programming cable and software for it but that adds about $90 to the total cost.

You are not going to be able to do it by hand, or any yahoo would be all over the band even worse then the idiots with modded ham gear. I preferred the standard/horizen HX370S as it shared many parts with the VX170 ham band HT, plus 40 programmable channels with coverage from 137-174.

K9MEL

Thanks for the input from K9MEL

Thanks for the input. I work as a Senior Deckhand on the Vineyard Fast Ferry out of Quonset Point, Rhode Island and I bought the Icom M-88 about a year ago and legally bought the software and cloning cable. Here is my educated input.

I have programed many radios on the professional level and have to say this is the worst. The radio itself in my opinion is not even close to VertexStandard. About three marine mobile techs in RI had no idea how to use the software. Icom themselves went into homeland security mode when asked about support, even with "proper license". Anyone want to buy a radio? Thanks for the suggestion of VertexStandard, I did not know they made a unit with free channels.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
you mean using a marine radio for land use? thought that was illegal? i'm missing somethig i know it

K9MEL

If you have a marine salvage business you can use your assigned frequencies. Also, if you are a licensed Amateur Radio Operator you can use the ham bands on water stating either marine mobile or marine portable ofter call sign. The problem lies within the radio manufacturer's and marine radio techs that do not fully comprehend the laws. Basically it works one way not the other. It is a very fine line that even I do not fully understand.

Grog

Banned
chrismoll said:
you mean using a marine radio for land use? thought that was illegal? i'm missing somethig i know it

The standard/horizon (and I guess the icom as well) would be certified for both part 80 (marine) and part 90 (land mobile). On my HX370S I had amateur radio and part 90 frequencies programmed in it, all legal.

Grog

Banned
k9mel said:
If you have a marine salvage business you can use your assigned frequencies. Also, if you are a licensed Amateur Radio Operator you can use the ham bands on water stating either marine mobile or marine portable ofter call sign. The problem lies within the radio manufacturer's and marine radio techs that do not fully comprehend the laws. Basically it works one way not the other. It is a very fine line that even I do not fully understand.

Obvisouly :lol:

K9MEL

What I am trying to say is.............even if your intentions are just and you have the proper letterhead and/or license , and you do not want to buy the extra equipment i.e. cable and software (good luck on this one unless it's bootleg).....have fun convincing the marine radio techs as to the programing being legit. :) Over and out on this subject !! :)

K9MEL

Hey Grog..

Help me out on this one, my belts getting wayyyyyy heavy........plus the captains are yelling at me for being such a geek! I tired of checking voids for water!

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
some marines 25 watt radios can be converted to other VHF freq? Sounds nice to me

Grog

Banned
chrismoll said:
some marines 25 watt radios can be converted to other VHF freq? Sounds nice to me

Care to share which ones? We have been discussing HTs but if you know of a radio that is rated for part 80 & 90 for marine radio prices, I know some of us would be interested.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I dont know any, i asked a question above in my post, i'm wondering if anyone knows any

Don_Burke

This looks interesting.

I would have to wade through the rules first, but I may get one of these and put it on two meters.

I am not so sure about MURS, as I seem to recall some restriction on that in Part 95.

SCANdal

Silent Key
Don,

Your recollection is correct...there are a number of restrictions on how the MultiUse Radio Service frequencies can be used. Chief among them is that you are limited to only two watts of transmitter output power on all five frequencies. Secondly, the three 151 MHz frequencies must use narrowband FM (the two 154 MHz freqs can be wideband, but it's not recommended).

http://www.provide.net/~prsg/murs_faq.htm

SCANdal

Don_Burke

Don,

Your recollection is correct...there are a number of restrictions on how the MultiUse Radio Service frequencies can be used. Chief among them is that you are limited to only two watts of transmitter output power on all five frequencies. Secondly, the three 151 MHz frequencies must use narrowband FM (the two 154 MHz freqs can be wideband, but it's not recommended).

http://www.provide.net/~prsg/murs_faq.htm

SCANdal
This is what I was thinking of.

I bolded the sentence.

Sec. 95.655 Frequency capability.

(a) No transmitter will be certificated for use in the CB service if
it is equipped with a frequency capability not listed in Sec. 95.625, and no transmitter will be certificated for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with a frequency capability not listed in Sec. 95.621, unless such transmitter is also certificated for use in another radio service for which the frequency is authorized and for which certification is also required. (Transmitters with frequency capability for the Amateur Radio Services and Military Affiliate Radio System will not be certificated.)
(b) All frequency determining circuitry (including crystals) and programming controls in each CB transmitter and in each GMRS transmitter must be internal to the transmitter and must not be accessible from the exterior of the transmitter operating panel or from the exterior of the transmitter enclosure.
(c) No add-on device, whether internal or external, the function of which is to extend the transmitting frequency capability of a CB transmitter beyond its original capability, shall be manufactured, sold
or attached to any CB station transmitter.
(d) No transmitter will be certificated for use in MURS if it is equipped with a frequency capability not listed in Sec. 95.632.

[53 FR 47718, Nov. 25, 1988. Redesignated at 61 FR 28769, June 6, 1996, and further redesignated at 61 FR 46567, Sept. 4, 1996 and amended at 63 FR 36611, July 7, 1998; 67 FR 63290, Oct. 11, 2002; 69 FR 32886, June 14, 2004]

Additional Certification Requirements for CB Transmitters

n8emr

This looks interesting.

I would have to wade through the rules first, but I may get one of these and put it on two meters.

I am not so sure about MURS, as I seem to recall some restriction on that in Part 95.

Murs falls out pretty quick from the simple fact the radio after the nov 2002 date must be specific built for murs. You also have the narrow/wide and power level issues to also content with.

Don_Burke

Murs falls out pretty quick from the simple fact the radio after the nov 2002 date must be specific built for murs. You also have the narrow/wide and power level issues to also content with.
I could just put in the two wide channels at 1 watt, but the certification issue is a show stopper.

I do not need any federal convictions.

Havocide

Anyone here use the 22 free channels for land use? Also, is it hard to program with the software?

I am requesting the same information. I read through all the responses here and only two of them were relevant responses. I recently bought two Icom IC-M88 VHF radios with intentions of using them off-shore. The box said 22 programmable land use channels but of course this is something extra. On icom's site it says "*Appropriate license will be required" under 22 programmable channels for land use section.

IC-M88 VHF Marine Transceiver - Features - Icom America

I have emailed both icom and the FCC requesting licensing information for these "22 programmable channels."
From what I understand a vhf marine radio can be programmed to operate on the frequencies of 146.000 MHz - 174.000 MHz.

Anyone have any information about this while I wait for a response from both icom and the FCC? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.