ICOM PCR2500 Antenna confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thaellar

I see that the 2500 has 2 antenna inputs, but the way they work together seems confusing. After some research, I assume that I can hook an HF antenna to the main antenna input and a discone to the secondary input and then bounce between them using dualwatch. Is that right?

The options at the bottom of the PCR2500 page at Universal-Radio says:

"DPX-30 RF Systems antenna combiner allows connection of separate HF and VHF/UHF antennas." Am I correct in assuming that only applies to the IC 1500?

Can some knowledgeable person clear this up?

regards,

Thaellar

Last edited:

scrotumola

Thaellar said:
I see that the 2500 has 2 antenna inputs, but the way they work together seems confusing. After some research, I assume that I can hook an HF antenna to the main antenna input and a discone to the secondary input and then bounce between them using dualwatch. Is that right?

The options at the bottom of the PCR2500 page at Universal-Radio says:

"DPX-30 RF Systems antenna combiner allows connection of separate HF and VHF/UHF antennas." Am I correct in assuming that only applies to the IC 1500?

Can some knowledgeable person clear this up?

regards,

Thaellar

The combiner lets you receive HF and V/UHF/800 frequencies on one receiver, preferably the main receiver. On the 2500, the main has full HF-3.3 GHZ receiver, which without an antenna combiner can become deaf on HF if you use a discone only or deaf on the high bands if you use a longwire or dipole only.

I would invest in the combiner, which will phase the two antennas together and give you a superior receiver. The sub band does NOT have HF receive capability so a discone or ST2 would suffice.

Hope this helps.

~S~

Status
Not open for further replies.