• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom POC system

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAFFA

Hi Guys.

We are looking at doing a PTT over cellular system and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Icom POC system and radios (IP501H) and how it compares to the chinese commercial platforms like Real PTT etc.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I haven't used it, however I was looking at the Icoms at the APCO conference. Nice little radios, seem very well built, nice selection of decent accessories. Didn't feel like a low quality radio.

They didn't have a SIM card in them, so I couldn't try them out, but physically they seemed like a nice radio.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I haven't used it, however I was looking at the Icoms at the APCO conference. Nice little radios, seem very well built, nice selection of decent accessories. Didn't feel like a low quality radio.

They didn't have a SIM card in them, so I couldn't try them out, but physically they seemed like a nice radio.

Seems very similar to the IP-100H to me…which has some things that could’ve been done better in my opinion…but I do know AT&T/FirstNet is not currently a supported network for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Seems very similar to the IP-100H to me…which has some things that could’ve been done better in my opinion…but I do know AT&T/FirstNet is not currently a supported network for them.

I had not thought about Band 14 capability on these. Seems like an easy fix for Icom, but probably not the right market for that radio. These seem to be aimed at campus/large business use.

Project25_MASTR

I had not thought about Band 14 capability on these. Seems like an easy fix for Icom, but probably not the right market for that radio. These seem to be aimed at campus/large business use.

True, but another worry of mine is they are not LTE devices…3G/4G only so what happens when the network doesn’t want to knock down to support them?

My two biggest complaints with the IP-100H were poor audio given the amount of bandwidth available and the fact the devices only support 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g…and many of the IT guys I’ve tried to interface with simply wont let anything less than 802.11n on their networks.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Looking at new radios for work. Many of the higher end radios have WiFi and LTE radios in them. Should be an interesting option for us.
We've got a pretty substantial WiFi network at work. One option will to have a public safety SSID on the system that the radios can connect to when inside the buildings. LTE radios/FirstNet when outside the coverage area. Standard LMR for everything else.

Talking with some people out in the industry and trying to get a movement going to put a nation wide public safety WiFi SSID on larger networks, similar to the EduRoad system. eduroam-US | global Wi-Fi roaming for academia While not a 100% reliable solution, it would provide some coverage improvements for some applications.

Project25_MASTR

Looking at new radios for work. Many of the higher end radios have WiFi and LTE radios in them. Should be an interesting option for us.
We've got a pretty substantial WiFi network at work. One option will to have a public safety SSID on the system that the radios can connect to when inside the buildings. LTE radios/FirstNet when outside the coverage area. Standard LMR for everything else.

Talking with some people out in the industry and trying to get a movement going to put a nation wide public safety WiFi SSID on larger networks, similar to the EduRoad system. eduroam-US | global Wi-Fi roaming for academia While not a 100% reliable solution, it would provide some coverage improvements for some applications.
It could be done, might even address some NFPA applications at a potentially lower cost.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, that was part of the thinking. The NFPA requirements for radio coverage are pretty expensive for most. Also, while the spec's are pretty solid, there's some assumptions made. Most indoor antennas I've seen wouldn't survive 2 hours. Was at a meeting last week with the local APCO group and a presentation was given by Paul Neiman from RF Signalman ( Home ). Recent rounds of testing (required every year) showed that about 80% of the in building coverage systems were not functioning. Either equipment failures, someone shutting them off, damaged by other work, etc.
While WiFi wouldn't have the survivability, it would work for most law enforcement and EMS use when the building is not actually on fire. For fire use, simplex would solve a lot of the issues.

I think the NFPA 1221 requirements are misguided. I'm hoping that technology makes them obsolete in the very near future.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
The IP-501H radios actually work very well in good cellular coverage areas and has excellent audio and can be cross-connected with the IP-100H system and/or NXDN, analog, or P25 radios systems with the use of the soon to be released VE-PG4 network interface device. The VE-PG4 includes everything needed for use with the IP-100H radios, so a separate interface is not required. There are many companies throughout the US that are coming onboard with the IP-501H radio system, watch for additional press releases...

Status
Not open for further replies.