Icom R-2500 / Pcr-2500

Status
Not open for further replies.

pa0trx

This receiver is becoming available now in our region (the Netherlands).

I wonder it is worth to operate the radio via USB PC interface instead of using the head on the receiver. Is it convenient to use the pc as controller and is the software ok, is the software mature ?

Is it posible to scan 2 stations on one antenne or does one need both antenne inputs ?

What is your experience with the quality of the receiver in general. I want just use it for airband 108-138MHz and for a virtual radar application in the 1090 MHz frequency region.

Is the receiver sensitive for strong transmissions of other radio's on other frequencies. There is a mass of GSM mobile fixed station antennes on about 500 meter / 1500 ft distance. So cross modulation ?

Does an optional DSP provide for discriminator audio output of better quality ?

I do not expect a review of the IC R-2500/PCR-2500, however some practical feedback on questions is valuable, because I do just depend on specifications on paper.

73's Wim

Last edited:

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

The optional DSP unit is really for HF. It only works on the main receiver and some features are not available in some modes like FM.

You need two antennas, splitter, or multicoupler for the two receivers. The radio will scan the two receivers independently.

Speaker audio is mono. USB audio is stereo with the main receiver on one channel and the sub receiver on the other channel.

Selectivity seems typical for a wide-band receiver. I do seem to get a few more images than my AOR AR8600.

The main receiver uses a similar command set to the PCR1000. Part of the USB interface is a control port configured as a USB serial port.

The ICOM software is okay. I have the R2500 and the control head is okay.

73 Eric

pa0trx

tnx for reply on the main questions I had.

Does this receiver allow for scanning and receiving on both receivers in the VHF airband simultaneously, e.g. 131.175 MHz and 124.300 MHz in AM or 119.335 MHz and 118.400 MHz. Another air-frequency of interest is on 1090/1020 MHz for the use of the virtual radar concept. So combinations of a frequency in the airband (VHF) as well as on 1090/1020 MHz have to be possible.

If this is possible I feel the IC-P/PCR-2500 might be a good receiver for this type of aviation applications.

Tks in advance for reply, 73's de Wim

mancow

Database Admin
I would take a look at the specs on that first. If I recall the thing was deaf above a Ghz.

That's what sucks about all these new radios. They have all kinds of bells and whistles and tune to 3Ghz but what good is it if the squelch couldn't be opened with a crow bar. That's why I found an old AR3000. It was made in the late 80's or early 90's and works better than 90% of everything else out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.