ICOM R20 and Trunk program

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubir

who can help me find good program that do trunking and works together with my ICOM R20
Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No such animal AFAIK. You could install a tap and run a program like UniTrunker to read the data channel. I haven't heard of anyone actually doing this, though 73 Mike

Air490

I have a very vague recollection of having seen something on the net about putting a discriminator tap on an R20, but it was a long time ago.
If you are really keen you could always google it or try the Yahoo IC-R20 group.

Comint

Premium Subscriber
who can help me find good program that do trunking and works together with my ICOM R20
Thanks

Helps if you say what type of Trunking you want to monitor. Some, such as TETRA and DMR Tier III (MOTOBRO), cannot be monitored.

For starters, you need a CI-V interface of some kind.

Software:

UniTrunker for Motorola Smartnet, EDACS, and MPT1327 (requires Discriminator Tap, and usually two scanners)

TrunkView for MPT1327 (requires only one scanner, and NO Discriminator Tap)

TRUNK88 for Motorola Smartnet (requires Discriminator Tap, and two scanners)

--
Comint

dubir

Thanks you Comit
i am doing my first steps in the scan world .
is it true to say that with those programs i actually turn my analogue scanner to trunk trunking scanner?

dubir

one more thing regarding your question
i am interest to listen to the Motorola devices
Thanks

Comint

Premium Subscriber
Thanks you Comit
i am doing my first steps in the scan world .
is it true to say that with those programs i actually turn my analogue scanner to trunk trunking scanner?
In a manner of speaking.

With two scanners, and a PC (and in your case, a CI-V interface), you emulate a trunk tracking scanner.

If you want to monitor Motorola Smartnet systems, then you need two scanners. One with a Discriminator Tap to feed "raw audio" into the soundcard of a computer running UniTrunker, and a second scanner that is PC Controllable to act as the 'trunk tracking scanner' to follow the Voice Channels (conversations).

The program decodes the Control Data from the "raw audio", and uses this information to tell the second scanner which frequency to change to, to hear the conversation.

--
Comint

PS. Just remembered that TRUNK88 does not support Icom's CI-V interface, only Uniden scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.