Icom r5 disassemble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redpola

Hi all,

So I purchased a cheap r5 from eBay and guess what - the poer/shift button doesn't work. It looks like someone spilled something on it. "Not a problem" I thought, and figured I'd just take the thing apart and clean it up. Easier said than done. I've desoldered the speaker and removed all possible screws and have hit a brick wall - the PCB assembly still seems firmly connected to the front fascia.

Is there a disassembly guide anywhere? I'm just terrified of forcing anything or breaking anything at this point.

Cheers,

Neil.

N4UMJ

It was a very meticulous process taking apart the Q7A and R2 which appear very similar looking at the R5 SM.

On those you need to desolder (I used braid) some shield points in the middle of the dissassembly. One small slip and you have a bad smell and melted black plastic! Also you have to overcome the locking compound applied to the SMA connector retaining nut and that requires a metric spanner wrench or the route I took was to simply desolder it.

After that it easy going to remove the final front keyboard.

Good Luck,
Ed
N4UMJ

redpola

Thanks very much for these answers. The service manual contains details on disassembly (although they look like they miss two extra desolder points) but it's enough to get me going.

Thanks,

Neil.

Status
Not open for further replies.