Icom R75 DC Fused Power Cable Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tilt404

Hello,

I recently purchased a new Icom R75 receiver (HF/Shortwave/6m) but was kind of sad it didn't include a fused DC power cable in the box. It showed in the manual but said it only ships with certain models, and I see from all the sites I can find it at that the cable (Icom OPC-869) has been discontinued.

I'd rather hook this receiver hooked up to my Alinco DM-330MV 32A power supply than using the AC power brick. I also hope to use this outside at some time during the summer running off a battery so I really need some help in finding/building a proper DC fused power cable.

The radio only draws 1.5A and the old DC power cable came with two inline 3A glass fuses. The receiver runs at 13.8V DC +-15% with a negative ground. So I was wondering if anyone who also has this receiver is running it off of a DC power source? If so, could you maybe recommend a aftermarket cable that would get me on my way to doing the same? I understand that I could just buy the parts and make one myself, but I was wondering if there's another DC power cable that uses the same conector to the radio. I was to be careful and do this right since I don't want to damage the receiver, so thought I would ask for some advice here.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Icom use to sell one directly - the OPC-689 - but they discontinued it. This cable has 3A fuses inline.

http://universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr/2966lrg.jpg

The original power supply was crap, so I simply cut the end of the power supply off and tossed the rest. I ran mine for a few years without any fuse and never had a problem.

I believe the connector is 3mm (id) x 6.5mm (od) DC connector.

tilt404

I've emailed Icom but got no reply. Was upset they didn't include a DC power cable with this receiver, and left people with no way to order one. Makes little sense to me. I have the newer model of AC adapter but want to use this on battery power and with my Alinco power supply, so I still did the same as you and cut the cable from the AC adapter. I will install fuses on it tomorrow though but thanks for showing how to keep it simple. On the front of my Alinco DM-330MV it has two sets of spring clips for low output (max 5A) so I have it connected to there now. I will install two 3A fuses on each lead tomorrow just like the old DC power cable had.

Icom use to sell one directly - the OPC-689 - but they discontinued it. This cable has 3A fuses inline.

http://universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr/2966lrg.jpg

The original power supply was crap, so I simply cut the end of the power supply off and tossed the rest. I ran mine for a few years without any fuse and never had a problem.

I believe the connector is 3mm (id) x 6.5mm (od) DC connector.

gcgrotz

You can also use the green adapter from Radio Shack. The R75 has an internal fuse so for a short run of wire you probably don't need inline fuses. But you can get them at RS also, and some crimp splices.

I power mine off that same power supply, which powers the Ham gear with no problem.

tilt404

Thank you, The parts I ordered from the source, (Radio Shack here in Canada, sort of) came today so I soldered and heat shrinked the connections to the inline fuse holders and put in 3A fuses in each so all is well now. Now I just need to look into what sort of small battery I can run it on for when the power goes out.

You can also use the green adapter from Radio Shack. The R75 has an internal fuse so for a short run of wire you probably don't need inline fuses. But you can get them at RS also, and some crimp splices.

I power mine off that same power supply, which powers the Ham gear with no problem.

SCPD

QRT
Now I just need to look into what sort of small battery I can run it on for when the power goes out.

Get yourself a small gelcell battery and charger. It will let you listen for 8-10 hours easy.

Universal Power 12v 12 Amp Hour Battery

I actually went to Sears and picked up a lawn mower battery for when the power goes out. It will last ~100 hours on a full charge. It's much larger and heavier, however.

The gelcell batteries are safer are overall a better solution. I wish I learned about them before buying the lawn mower battery.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.