Icom R8500 blinking at me

Status
Not open for further replies.

woody_46

Damn...My 8500 started acting up. After its on for awhile i hear a relay click & the display flashes the frequency, it's random. I tried my extra power supply, no change. It looks like it needs to go to Icom service half way across the country. Has anybody experienced this problem?

Thanks.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I had that happen to me as well after delivering a static discharge to it accidentally (well,who would do it on purpose? :D ). I had to return it to Icom for repair. I think it was somewhere around $100 for the repair, your mileage may vary of course. Icom was very good about it and the turnaround time was outstanding.

woody_46

Thanks for the reply! Looks like a cross country trip for this puppy. It's the shipping that concerns me, will it get back & forth in one piece?lol. I've heard good things about Icom repair facilities too.

offsite

Premium Subscriber
Shipping R8500 to ICOM

Woody, I sent mine in a couple weeks ago to have an option installed and got it back with no shipping problems.

Shipping (FedEx ground) cost more than the installation because I insured it for full value and had ICOM do the same on the return leg.

The best way is pack the unit in its original box with those factory foam inserts... then put that box inside another (bigger) one surrounded by the usual styrofoam "angel turds"... : )

Added advantage is this keeps the original box in great shape... even if the outer box gets the usual in-transit dings.

woody_46 said:
Thanks for the reply! Looks like a cross country trip for this puppy. It's the shipping that concerns me, will it get back & forth in one piece?lol. I've heard good things about Icom repair facilities too.

N4UMJ

This problem you are describing sounds like the PLL unlock condition caused by a BAD PLL chip (Motorola MC145190F) on the VHF UHF convertor board(one located behind the "N" connector)

If you get curious you can unplug the only coax plug going to it (the UHF VHF convertor board) after removing the covers of course to gain internal access to it and the display should stop blinking. Of course this will disable receive above 1 GHz if I remember correctly. Not a fix but it may get you going below that 1 GHz range if you just desire that range and delaying a repair for now.

I have repaired several units with this problem before and the PLL CHIP is not all that small like some of the ultra small SMT parts.

The part source for these and other Motorola PLL chips are best obtained through ICOM parts as these are now obsolete parts and very exepensive unless you desire mass quantities through the parts brokers.

The R8500 is a real neat receiver(I own three) and looks like its here to stay for a while it seems since ICOM has done some minor redesigns on the circuitry on the later SN's.

Good Luck,
Ed
N4UMJ

woody_46

Thanks for the extra info Ed! I will try pulling the coax. That will really narrow the issue down before sending it out.

They are great receivers, no doubt about that.

N4UMJ

A little more info...There are two gray coax cables going to the convertor board and one is permanently affixed (soldered) and cannot be pulled apart and the other coax assembly can be(Male plug going into a female socket) thats the one that maybe will get you going in the right direction with troubleshooting. And a flat ribbon cable also goes to the convertor board also but you dont need to bother with it.

My latest R8500 I aquired here is in repair here due to some water or liquid damage from a previous owner. It's turning out to be quite a challenge!

Ed
N4UMJ

woody_46

N4UMJ said:
A little more info...There are two gray coax cables going to the convertor board and one is permanently affixed (soldered) and cannot be pulled apart and the other coax assembly can be(Male plug going into a female socket) thats the one that maybe will get you going in the right direction with troubleshooting. And a flat ribbon cable also goes to the convertor board also but you dont need to bother with it.

My latest R8500 I aquired here is in repair here due to some water or liquid damage from a previous owner. It's turning out to be quite a challenge!

Ed
N4UMJ

Thanks Ed. Yep, I know the connector you're talking about. Good luck with your repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.