R8500 Icom R8500 software

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
What is the best software than can be used with this radio? Have looked at a few. Read somewhere the SDR software works. Would like a waterfall display but haven't come across anything. Something to decode some of the stuff I come across would be nice. Suggestions?

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Try ham radio Deluxe HRD
The control software for the radio was called
RS r8500 don’t know if the Icom software will work with windows 10 or 11

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Try ham radio Deluxe HRD
The control software for the radio was called
RS r8500 don’t know if the Icom software will work with windows 10 or 11
I’ll be getting this software once I find a cable to hook it up to the computer. Was hoping a newer cable was developed using usb instead of serial. Does have a waterfall display but a little different from the videos I have watched.

I also use the HRD software (version 6) for my IC-R 8500. But this one has no waterfall display.
You can find a suitable cable for the Icom at Amazon, look for the "Logilink USB 2.0 to RS232 Adapter Cable",
I also have this and it works great.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Alson thread

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
The RT cable is $30 bucks. I just got the RT cable and software for my Yaesu VX-7R. Going to see if that will work since its similar to the R8500 version. If not, will consider the one you posted. Thanks.

Good luck and keep us informed if everything works.

One more quick addition,
the cable runs with me with my IC-R 8500 and the software HRD (Version 6) and as operating system I have Windows 7 on the PC.

73 Mike

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
This shows it does have a waterfall display. I downloaded the software but won’t let me register it without a call sign. Am not a ham so I emailed them to see how to bypass it.

The waterfall display in HRD only works with the ICOM devices of the newer generation (e.g. the IC-R 8600).

@bearcatrp:
I have entered a fictitious callsign and it works. I must also say that the PC is not connected to the Internet and the software can not "call home".

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
I watched a video awhile back with this software and had a type of waterfall display going from left to right with a 8500. Looked pretty cool. I will look for it again and try to post it. Thought about asking my nephew for his call sign. Pretty sure he won't mind. I haven't ordered a cable yet as I want to try the one RT systems sent me for my VX 7R to see if it will work. Worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.