Icom R8500

Status
Not open for further replies.

XDX

I am looking to buy a R8500 unblocked here in Toronto Canada and am trying to find out how do I tell that the Radio I would like to buy is a Icom R8500 unblocked, a site called ( UNIVERSAL RADIO INC. ) has these Radios the Icom R8500-22 unblocked Goverment use only on there site, and I know we here have the unblocked units available to us here but how can I tell it is unbocked our units read Icom R8500 and the other one I seen on the other site reads R8500-22 Unblocked, but not here. Can anyone help I would really like to buy a R8500-22 unblocked unit here in Toronto. Thanks a Mill.

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
The only difference between the two is the fact that the 8500-02 (the blocked one) is missing part of the 800 MHz range while the 8500-04 (unblocked) can tune the full range from .1 - 1999.99 MHz.
The back of the radio will be stamped with the part number, so you should be able to tell which one you have even if you can't test it by trying to tune one of the blocked frequencies.

You can see the specs for both radios here:
ICOM R8500 Specifications

XDX

I just bought a Icom R8500 and noticed that the supplyed power adapter the AD-55A is pushing over 19 volts when put on a volt meter when the radio manual calls for 13.5 volts , should I go and buy a 13.5 power AC supply adapter , does anyone know why they call for 13.5 volts and give you a 19.+ volts adapter unit, and what should I do. Thanks a mill !

XDX

Icom 8500 power supply correction

I posted a question about the Icom 8500 power supply about the voltage, long story short-- I called emailed Icom and do not touch the power supply Power block that is supplyed with the Radio ,there is very good reasons that it is this way , the only thing you might do is hook up a thermostat controled fan to cool off the Icom 8500 Radio for it does tend to run hot , I do not know what temp it should be at but a tek at a repair store said you should have a fan come on at 75 to 85 farenhight in tempature, unless it has conponents that must run at a spicific temp, or just have a small fan run all the time at one of the vent points with a filter in front of the fan so your Radio does not fill up with dust. CHEERS!!!

Last edited:

Kennrth

Premium Subscriber
The external dc power pack is unregulated. The voltage will drop some when loaded (plugged in and turned on). Inside the radio are a series of regulators generating +8,-8,+5,+8 to inverted 24vdc. This is normal. I suspect a typical load is 2 amp.

benbenrf

... the 8500 is in any event relatively easy to unblock - a 3.3K and 1K resistor are all that is required - idealy 603 size surface mount types if I recall correctly, but small conventional axial lead types will do the job in the absence of 603 types

You'll loose all data saved in memory carrying out this mod, so make a back up record to reload afterwards.

NOTE - I carried this mod out to an 8500 around 2003, so long as there have been no changes to 8500 production since I see no reason why it can't be applied to later examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.