R8600 Icom R8600 tuning knob "sticky"

Status
Not open for further replies.

srletend

I've had the R8600 for a few weeks and love it. One thing has been bothering me... The tuning knob does not rotate completely smoothly, it kind of momentarily sticks at the 1 o'clock position. It has had this behavior since coming out of the box. I have tried the different tension adjuster settings with the same result.

Is this normal behavior? Have others experienced this? Is there a fix?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I've had the R8600 for a few weeks and love it. One thing has been bothering me... The tuning knob does not rotate completely smoothly, it kind of momentarily sticks at the 1 o'clock position. It has had this behavior since coming out of the box. I have tried the different tension adjuster settings with the same result.

Did you turn the brake off?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
By "brake" do you mean the tension adjuster under the main dial? If so, yes.

It might have a small burr or high spot that needs to be smoothed out. Not sure how to remove & inspect it. Possibly give Icom a call for guidance. Too expensive to screw up.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The tuning knob on the 8600 is held on like most other Icom's.
That being, the knob has a "rubber tire" outer band around the knob. You just slip a tiny flat blade screwdriver like a pocket screwdriver or smaller between the rubber tire and the silver trim of the knob. Using the screwdriver, it's very easy to work the rubber tire off the main knob.
Under the rubber tire on the main knob is single hex head set screw. The set screw is located 180 degrees from the tuning knobs fingertip hole. You need a 2.0 mm hex wrench to insert in the small set screw hole and loosen the set screw.
A 1/16th inch hex wrench may also work but don't do it if your hex wrench is a sloppy fit. If you round off the hex set screw, getting the knob removed could be hard.
My set screw was not very tight.

When reassembling, there is a flat on the 1/4 inch shaft. The hex head set screw tightens to the flat of the shaft.

While the knob is removed, see if the shaft turns freely. If so, look for burrs on the back side of the knob and remove anything found. Also look for burrs sticking out from the chassis behind the knob from around the mechanical brake parts that you will see with the knob removed.
If you still feel a snag at the 1 o'clock position while the knob is removed, it may need a trip back to Icom if you don't think rotating it back and forth over the snag area is making it feel like it is freeing up.
Working it back and forth past the 1 o'clock position may very well clean it up over time.
Mine both spin nice and freely and did so since day one.

It's an optical encoder and something you don't want to mess with if you don't find a burr on the knob or the chassis behind the knob and it also does not seem to be getting better over time. Optical encoders are tricky to work on and easy to break if you try!

I do wish the R8600 tuning knob was heavier allowing it to coast easier like the larger tuning knobs do on the larger receivers like the R9000 or similar size transceivers. I don't think the slight tightness of the tuning knob is due to shaft friction but it could be. It's hard to tell.
Behind the knob and around the 1/4 inch shaft is a 1/2 inch or larger nut that holds the assembly tight.
You can try loosening that nut slightly and see if it helps. If you loosen it too much, the knob get sloppy and wobbly so don't loosen it much. Maybe loosen it until the shaft has excessive side to side play and then tighten the nut just to the point any excessive free play is gone.
I found on one of mine that the nut was a bit too tight compared to the other radio. Once I loosened up the nut a little, both radios tuning knobs spin equally to each other.
I'd also test the brake positions and function while the knob is removed just to make sure that is all intact and working like it should before you put the knob back on.
The brake lever is three positions. All the way to the right gives the knob detents that you can feel as you turn it. The center position of the brake lever removes the detents but leaves a fair amount of friction on the knob. The left brake lever position is supposed to be the free wheel position.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber

I Have the same problem since the beginning. When the lever is to the left i get more tension from 6 to 9 and again from 12 to 1. With the lever in the middle position, the tension is even but i find it too stiff for my taste. When the lever is to the right the tension is also even and there is that clicking sound. Honestly i do not like any of the three settings, none of them allows me to turn the knob freely by putting one finger in the hole in front of the knob. It works well on my IC-9700.

R7000

Mine was a little tight when I got it but it loosened up nicely after a couple of weeks of fiddling.

ArloG

I don't know if the mass of the VFO knob on my R8500 was attributed to the encoder shaft getting wobbly over time or if it was the millions of revolutions is spun over it's long and healthy life. At any rate as the encoder shaft wore more over time, the freq. display got glitchy.
I was lucky enough to find a replacement and it was back to new in a short time.

MDScanFan

I am glad this thread was created. I assumed I was alone in this issue. My R8600 has the same behavior - exactly as described in the post listed below. In the lowest tension bar setting the knob has more resistance in the 6-9 and 12-2 positions. There has been no change in this behavior over time. I end up using the right most tension bar setting that provides discrete steps. I don't like the setting but I like it better than feeling the higher tension regions in the low tension bar setting.

If someone gets feedback from Icom or finds a fix please post in this thread.

I Have the same problem since the beginning. When the lever is to the left i get more tension from 6 to 9 and again from 12 to 1. With the lever in the middle position, the tension is even but i find it too stiff for my taste. When the lever is to the right the tension is also even and there is that clicking sound. Honestly i do not like any of the three settings, none of them allows me to turn the knob freely by putting one finger in the hole in front of the knob. It works well on my IC-9700.

srletend

Thanks to everyone who responded to my original post. Issue was resolved by slightly loosening the 13mm assembly nut (MP53 in the diagram) behind the knob. Works beautifully now! (Although, as one poster noted, I'd prefer a "heavier" spinner knob--completely a personal preference...)

ridgescan

The tuning knob on the 8600 is held on like most other Icom's.
That being, the knob has a "rubber tire" outer band around the knob. You just slip a tiny flat blade screwdriver like a pocket screwdriver or smaller between the rubber tire and the silver trim of the knob. Using the screwdriver, it's very easy to work the rubber tire off the main knob.
Under the rubber tire on the main knob is single hex head set screw. The set screw is located 180 degrees from the tuning knobs fingertip hole. You need a 2.0 mm hex wrench to insert in the small set screw hole and loosen the set screw.
A 1/16th inch hex wrench may also work but don't do it if your hex wrench is a sloppy fit. If you round off the hex set screw, getting the knob removed could be hard.
My set screw was not very tight.

When reassembling, there is a flat on the 1/4 inch shaft. The hex head set screw tightens to the flat of the shaft.

While the knob is removed, see if the shaft turns freely. If so, look for burrs on the back side of the knob and remove anything found. Also look for burrs sticking out from the chassis behind the knob from around the mechanical brake parts that you will see with the knob removed.
If you still feel a snag at the 1 o'clock position while the knob is removed, it may need a trip back to Icom if you don't think rotating it back and forth over the snag area is making it feel like it is freeing up.
Working it back and forth past the 1 o'clock position may very well clean it up over time.
Mine both spin nice and freely and did so since day one.

It's an optical encoder and something you don't want to mess with if you don't find a burr on the knob or the chassis behind the knob and it also does not seem to be getting better over time. Optical encoders are tricky to work on and easy to break if you try!

I do wish the R8600 tuning knob was heavier allowing it to coast easier like the larger tuning knobs do on the larger receivers like the R9000 or similar size transceivers. I don't think the slight tightness of the tuning knob is due to shaft friction but it could be. It's hard to tell.
Behind the knob and around the 1/4 inch shaft is a 1/2 inch or larger nut that holds the assembly tight.
You can try loosening that nut slightly and see if it helps. If you loosen it too much, the knob get sloppy and wobbly so don't loosen it much. Maybe loosen it until the shaft has excessive side to side play and then tighten the nut just to the point any excessive free play is gone.
I found on one of mine that the nut was a bit too tight compared to the other radio. Once I loosened up the nut a little, both radios tuning knobs spin equally to each other.
I'd also test the brake positions and function while the knob is removed just to make sure that is all intact and working like it should before you put the knob back on.
The brake lever is three positions. All the way to the right gives the knob detents that you can feel as you turn it. The center position of the brake lever removes the detents but leaves a fair amount of friction on the knob. The left brake lever position is supposed to be the free wheel position.
I wonder if anyone actually likes the center position. I think it's just awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.