• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ICOM radiios

Status
Not open for further replies.

WINNSBORO1

Anyone know how to contact Preston Moore who used to make products to make repeaters from Icom mobile radios? Have sent emails to only email address I could find and got no response.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
The antenna farm used to have the opc-617 knock offs for around $20 a piece. Now all I can find is the actual icom opc-617 for around $45 a piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DODGEIT

I just heard from Preston Moore and he no longer handles Icom accesories. Does anyone know a source for the pigtail cable that goes between the two OPC-617 cables coming from the two radios? I am trying to make a repeater out of a couple of mobile Icom units and need the pigtail cable. Any help would be appreciated.

Project25_MASTR

The Antenna Farm has them…

OPC-417

You could probably get the header and pins from a supplier and build one for $5-$10 a piece.

DODGEIT

What I need is the DB-9 pigtail cable that goes between the two OPC-617's that Preston had on his site. I m just wondering if there is another source for the pigtail cable.

Project25_MASTR

Preston built clones of the icom cable. Icom still services radios that use those…so you can still get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
you can build the cable and if you spend some timeo n google you should be able to find a link. All it is is a straight thru cable between the 2 OPC-617. I just cannot remember the pinout for it. Built many of them. You should also be able to look at the manual and match up the pins that way.

Project25_MASTR

So yo need one of these…
61CE1ED1-3799-41C3-8A1B-595F75AF10E8_zpsegaokazq.jpg

Mine is built out of CAT5…I'd recommend using something shielded though. Too bad Icom could've made it to where you just needed a standard null-modem adapter.

DODGEIT

W5PKY the cable pictured above is what I need. I was hoping to find them already assembled as I have a deadline to get the repeater built. I guess I will have to get the materials together and build it myself. KB2ZTX Preston has the pinout diagram on his website. I have printed it out so if I have to build it I would have it. W5PKY where did you source the DB-9M's like the one's in the picture?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
What I need is the DB-9 pigtail cable that goes between the two OPC-617's that Preston had on his site. I m just wondering if there is another source for the pigtail cable.

Parts in hand, it should take 15-20 minutes tops to build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PACNWDude

Source for DB9 connectors.

Tessco, Digikey and sometime Alltronics.
I would check for current availability in that order. Tessco sometimes shows stock online but is out when you call though.

Project25_MASTR

I got them from a local parts supplier in Lubbock. Radio Shack should have the DB-9 adapters. I learned another way to build the adapters from a ham on the Allstar link system.

They make DB-9 (both male and female) to RJ-45 (female) that you can actually change the pinouts to the DB. then a simple 12" patch cable can interconnect the two. He was using them to build URI's and use the serial port to key the radio/repeater.

cabletech

Any store that sells computer parts will have DB9 connecters. Here is the wireing for the cross over cable.

WINNSBORO---What radio(s) are you using? Remember that you have to make small mods inside to both for the radio's to cross talk and you need to set the programing as well.

Have you checked this site? DIY Icom Repeater

This is based on the F200 series radio, but it is the same for the F300, F400, F500 and F600 series.

DODGEIT

I am using the Icom F-121s which is also one of the ones he listed on his website. I will try RS but anymore they don't seem to have much in the way of parts.

DODGEIT

I looked on Radio Shack's website and they didn't show any. I checked with a local RS store and he said he hasn't had them in a long time. Not much call for DB9 connectors is what he said. Any way I found a site and ordered the ones I needed. Now I am trying to source the cable. W5PKY you suggested shielded cable. Any suggestions as to a source for this cable. I need 5 wire cable.

cabletech

A few years ago I build several of these portable Icom repeaters using F200, F300, F500 and F600series radios.

I build these as both in band and cross band systems. No problems as long as you set the program correctly.

When I build the first set, I got the OP617 cables and the cross connect cable from Preston.

When I recieved the cross connect, I took a look at it and then went and got the DB9's and build my own.

In the last 6 months I have build two more repeaters and again had no problems getting DB9's.

I can not believe that every one is having problems getting DB9's.

How many people wish to have these cross connect devices and how many do you want?

Give me a couple of days and I will build as many as every one wish's.

I am even getting ready to build these repeaters using the F5000/6000 series radios and they will use DB15 connectors.

At this time, if any one wishes for me build these, pricing to include mailing is looking like about
$12-15.

These will be all tested and working correctly at time of mailing.

Email me and let me know.

cabletech03@hotmail.com

cmdrwill

Now I am trying to source the cable. W5PKY you suggested shielded cable. Any suggestions as to a source for this cable. I need 5 wire cable.

I doubt you need shielded cable for a couple of inches of adapter length.Some use Cat 5 stranded cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.