Icom repair service??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I had sent my IC 7300 in to the Washington state Icom repair center and they got radio in shop on December 30th. I called them for update to check how far I was in line on Jan 12th. The lady said I was number 25 on the list. She said to call again in about a week to check progress. So I will call again on Jan24th. Does anyone have a good ballpark guess on how long it takes them to do repairs? Not sure if there is only 1 tech fixing radios or if there are more. I guess it depends on how much work needs to be done. I am not 100% sure why my radio failed but probably due to high swr and faulty reading on meter. I mistakenly tuned my G5RV on the FM portion of 10 meters using the INTERNAL tuner. Running about 40 watts. Normally never had problems doing this with EXTERNAL tuner. So most likely the SWR on 10 meters with G5RV is going to be WAAAAY over 3:1. so internal tuner probably wont be able to tune it. However the SWR reading on radio was within safe limits, around a 1:4:1. Suddenly the SWR rose sharply and I could no longer tune any frequency with external tuner or internal. The ALC swung way over to right. We hooked up to dummy load and no rf out. My guess is finals. I don't understand what happened when swr meter was showing a good match. And also I didnt realize I was using internal tuner. My stupid mistake. Radio was bought in March last year so hopefully warranty will cover this. :cry:

RFI-EMI-GUY

Sounds maybe like a part of the internal tuner burned up while maintaining that low indicated VSWR.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Not sure if there is only 1 tech fixing radios or if there are more.
I don't know how many techs they have working at Kirkland, either. Keep in mind that they may be dealing with staffing issues due to COVID-19.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I sent a 5100 in last January 5th for a broken speaker jack. While initial communication was a little lacking, after reaching out, within 2.5 weeks, got the radio back via FedEX on January 22. That's not bad considering transit times from east coast to west coast and back. The radio was repaired perfectly.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Well I got radio back today (2-1) and working fine.....the problem was, quote "Replaced ALC/SWR detector components IC211 and IC981 on the PA board." So not sure what that is, or exactly what caused the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.